British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-08-11, 05:47 PM

Knowing one exists is one step closer

I have seen those securitas beanie? badges in use by armoured truck drivers and guards. They must be a universal use in the company?

Thanks Tony,

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 10:01 PM

hi guys.

Has anybody got any ideas for how i can find out exact dates of use for this badge. it appears security badges are not as widely documented as police and military cap badges?

thanks

phil
Old 27-08-11, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
hi guys.

Has anybody got any ideas for how i can find out exact dates of use for this badge. it appears security badges are not as widely documented as police and military cap badges?

thanks

phil
Hi Phil, This may help a little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers...nd_Engineering

Regards Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 27-08-11 at 02:56 AM.
Old 27-08-11, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Knowing one exists is one step closer

I have seen those securitas beanie? badges in use by armoured truck drivers and guards. They must be a universal use in the company?

Thanks Tony,

Phil
Strange thing is security officers on BAE sites can only wear them during silent hours! During the day they wear plain black peaked caps with no badge! this is largely because BAE like to give the impression that the security is "in house" with all insignia being BAE! Prior to june when the contract was with reliance, caps were issued but rarely worn. Private industrial security firms have a long history of contracts on Ministry of Defence, Procurement Executive and defence contractor establishments, such companies as Chubb, Legion Security (originally the Royal British Legion Attendants Company) Securiguard, Rentokill initial, Centuryan, Burns, Pritchards, Shorrock Guards, Firmguard and Goldcrest to name a few have held contracts at such places as QinetiQ (formerly the Defence Research Agency and Admiralty Research Establishment) Siemens, VSSL, VT ship Building, GE Aviation, Marconi underwater systems and others, most of whom are now all own by BAE! As well as RM baracks Eastney and Deal, HMS Vernon, HMS Excelent, RN Rifle range Tipner, RN Fire Fighting and Diving Schools, Fraser Gunnery Range and many many more! The Defence Research Agency did have their own security force the DRA Guard Force which wore a silver crown to start with (on a blue beret) and later a crown and E"R in a circle with M.O.D. SECURITY on it, the DRA Guard Force was merged into the MOD Guard Service in 1993 and removed from all establishments when the DRA was privatised and became QinetiQ and security was put out to private contract! Another partial MoD Dockyard Falmouth, have their own police force the Falmouth Docks Police who (as far as I've seen) only wear helmets with their own police badge!

Hope its of interest

Regards Tony
Old 27-08-11, 11:04 AM

Thats all very interesting stuff and gives me a couple of badges to look out for. i never thought to look at the cap badge worn by the security guard at Foulness Island, I was talking to him for quite a while too, how lapse of me.

VSEL security badge would have been worn between 1987 and 1995 then. Must be a relstively scarce badge, provided the officers held onto their jobs.

Cheers Tony, your info is much appreciated.

regards
phil
Old 27-08-11, 08:25 PM

I'm not sure on what occasions the badge would have been worn.
I worked at VSEL at Barrow-in-Furness between 1988 & 1990 & did not see any of the Security wearing a peaked cap, the only headgear I remember them wearing was a white safety helmet with the words "VSEL SECURITY" on the front.
Old 28-08-11, 01:16 AM

hi daverpol, could this badge possibly be for use in an id card wallet (like police use) or maybe only senior staff? another thought is that it could be post 1990?

cheers

phil
Old 28-08-11, 01:34 AM

i had a brainwave, i will compare the submarine to pictures of all the classes built by vsel, making sure they are at a similar angle of view. The closest match may have a limited period of construction. and so date the badge more specifically.

What are your thoughts guys?

cheers

phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 28-08-11 at 01:55 AM.
Old 28-08-11, 07:28 AM

It looks very much like the Trafalgar Class.
The Trafalgar Class were launched between 1981 & 1991.

I was present at the last ever slipway launch of a Submarine at Barrow in 1988. It was HMS Talent, launched by Princess Anne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafalgar_class_submarine

http://www.btinternet.com/~warship/Today/tboat.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trafalgar Class.jpg (63.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 28-08-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thats all very interesting stuff and gives me a couple of badges to look out for. i never thought to look at the cap badge worn by the security guard at Foulness Island, I was talking to him for quite a while too, how lapse of me.

VSEL security badge would have been worn between 1987 and 1995 then. Must be a relstively scarce badge, provided the officers held onto their jobs.

Cheers Tony, your info is much appreciated.

regards
phil
Hi Phil, Cant see this one in your album, so maybe one to look out for?

MoD Security, worn on beret and peaked cap by members of the Defence Research Agency Guard Force 1991 - 1992.

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoD Security.jpg (47.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 28-08-11, 06:15 PM

Thanks Tony,

The submarine is just missing the Ariels? do they retract? I agree that that is a very close match. Must have been very impressive watching that launch, I'm yet to witness any ship launching for the first time.

I had made a note of the MOD Security badge from your first post mentioning the DRA. I live about 5 miles from Foulness Island, the sign posts always said 'DEFRA', but as you say, now they all say 'Quinteq' or however its spelt.

I should think there are a few of those badges knocking around my area, as it was/is a major employer in Southend, but I was never aware of them in any shops etc. i will keep my eyes peeled. Only one year of issue will limit numbers!

I will also look out for the Falmouth Harbour Police and Reliance Security. Maybe Engr9266 will find one first
Old 28-08-11, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tony,

The submarine is just missing the Ariels? do they retract? I agree that that is a very close match. Must have been very impressive watching that launch, I'm yet to witness any ship launching for the first time.

I had made a note of the MOD Security badge from your first post mentioning the DRA. I live about 5 miles from Foulness Island, the sign posts always said 'DEFRA', but as you say, now they all say 'Quinteq' or however its spelt.

I should think there are a few of those badges knocking around my area, as it was/is a major employer in Southend, but I was never aware of them in any shops etc. i will keep my eyes peeled. Only one year of issue will limit numbers!

I will also look out for the Falmouth Harbour Police and Reliance Security. Maybe Engr9266 will find one first
PM me Phil, may be able to do a trade for my Reliance badge? Falmouth Docks Police are quite rare but do crop up from time to time? I think Medal Search had/has one going for £25

I think you may have meant DERA (Defence Evaluation & Research Agency) took over from DRA, DEFRA is the Department For Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs I think what used to be the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food!
Regards Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 28-08-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 28-08-11, 06:38 PM

Yes sorry, that was a silly mistake, I did indeed mean DERA.

Agree about the Trafalgar Class. Doesn't help with dating the badge much!!

Medalsearches badge is Falmouth Dock Police, is that the same difference?

Phil
Old 29-08-11, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yes sorry, that was a silly mistake, I did indeed mean DERA.

Agree about the Trafalgar Class. Doesn't help with dating the badge much!!

Medalsearches badge is Falmouth Dock Police, is that the same difference?

Phil
Yes! they guard the dockyard at falmouth where MoD ships are re fitted (RN & RFA) and are what is termed a MoD list X site as they are civilian contractors that hold contracts to carry out work of a defence nature and are required to have a certain level of security.

Regards Tony