British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-15, 11:57 AM

Default (Another) odd RAF button

Good afternoon

A recent thread discussing an “oddly designed” RAF button prompted me to dig out this one I acquired recently as the design seems markedly different to any others I have seen. It is 17mm dia. and has no maker’s mark on the reverse and, although this photograph makes it appear bronze, it is actually brass with a nice fairly even patina. Can I put this down as just a manufacturer’s variation, before I dispose of it?

Many thanks

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06Apr2015a 001b.jpg (91.1 KB, 36 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-04-15, 12:22 PM

Hi Graham

It certainly does look different to the usual pattern but I would say it was just a manufacturer's variant or, more likely, a locally made item perhaps from the Middle East or India. The fact that it doesn't have a backmark tends to make this more probable.

Maybe someone else knows differently?

David
Old 06-04-15, 03:38 PM

Hello Graham

I agree with David, I think this is just a manufacturer's variation, probably locally made by someone who either was trying to copy the design on an original button or perhaps was just going by a verbal description!

Regards
Roger
Old 06-04-15, 08:13 PM

Hi David and Roger

Thank you both for your comments, much appreciated, it will be a little bit more interesting when I trade it than the bog standard RAF buttons. Personally I prefer it to the standard issue (particularly those I wore, but they were staybrite anyway).

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.