British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-11, 08:48 AM

Hi HMPbadges,
It took me a long time to convince you.LOL.The badge came from the estate of John Boorman along with his Imperial Service Medal and the photo of him in uniform and having seen the badge at Newbold I was convinced of its provenance.There were also the photos of him and his wife Ellen (Nelly)in Victorian Prison uniform but these were bought by another buyer who I've already mentioned in a previous entry.
Here is the photo you requested of them side by side.Please note ruler a collectors item in its own right.
Hwyl
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George V and copy 001.jpg (60.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Bantam; 01-04-11 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-04-11, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
My hands are held up high Bantam, I am wrong.

I have three of these (the ones i have shown). Years ago i was dubious about the first I got, but was assured, with documentation, that the others were genuine. Do you think that the no lip at the bottom supports the claim that some of these were cut from regimental or police helmet plates, or were they a directly made pattern for Prison Warders?

Can you show your badge next to another HMP badge to judge it's size?
Hi HMPbadges,
In reply to question I believe it was probably true that the same version of The Victorian Crown were exactly the same as a pattern worn by one of the military regiments on their helmet plates there were plenty of variants to choose from.The manufacturer would only have to apply lugs.However by the time of Edward VII the prison service was being supplied with their own distinctive crown hence our inability to discover one due to the scarcity in numbers produced.
I'm only glad that I don't have to look for a George V one.
Regards
Bantam
Old 02-04-11, 01:35 AM

I still want to see it next to a later or current badge, I think it's a Chief's or P.O badge, the smaller version but from the same era from superior ranks.
Old 06-04-11, 04:17 PM

Hi HMPbadges,
Here is the photo you requested with a run of headress badges with the exception of the A/A and George VI, I couldn't get those in from 1910 to present day !!!
Still no doubt about it.
Hwyl
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All.jpg (66.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Bantam; 06-04-11 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missed
Old 07-04-11, 11:35 PM

Bantam, you are officialy - a git! - lol

I'm going to the Chatham militaria fair at the weekend and I've now made a little list of things i should really look out for - you never know?

But anyway, back to Jersey and Guernsey (as we origionally started out many moons ago).
Old 08-04-11, 11:40 AM

HMPbadges,
Such words of endearment !!!You love me really in a masculine way of course LOL.
Sorry I can't help chuckling after your comments.I don't know what you will call me after my next posting ?
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 14-04-11, 12:15 AM

Well I'm back from the Chatham militaria fair now - in Kent, can I just say that it was "different" from what I am used to. But then I don't go to many fairs in or around London since the one at the Angel shut down so I'm not in a position to comment.

Chatham was, all inside (£3.50 for a hot dog and £1.00 for a cup of tea) but more for the re-enactor. Lots of firearms and weapons and modern day uniform and desert combat DPM stuff etc and Vietnam/U.S restrike stuff. Very few actual brass badges and insignia on cards to go through.

I got a pair of "H" Offr blue 1980's epps (chrome fittings) for a fiver but didn't see a prison badge all morning! There were two MPSC badges but that was it.
Old 20-05-11, 11:48 PM

Bantam or Jermil, I've just been looking at the HMP La Moye/C.I Prison Officers pic i posted and was wondering, what is the letter(s) above the HMP shoulder title?

We had a guy come over last year from the Channel islands to where i work for a week or two to research some training stuff and I noticed it then - any ideas?
Old 21-05-11, 08:31 AM

Default Numbers above HMP Jersey epaulette

They are the officers service number, I think his is 40, they also used to wear an 'H' if they were attached to the 'Hospital' section. I have a tunic with the H over HMP and it was worn by one of the Welfare Officers in the 1980's

Guernsey have similar devices, see attached an epaulette for a Guernsey Prison 'Hospital' Officer.

Jermil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg statesprisepaulh.jpg (42.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 22-05-11, 04:44 PM

Hi HMPbadges,
I concur with Jermil that they are officer service numbers.I was 014 you know where.
Glad to see you are back amongst the fold.
Bantam
Old 19-06-11, 11:32 PM

Bantam, I THINK I may have just aquired a proper kings crown WWI badge like yours at the Bromley fair in outer London. Bare with me as I'm on my iphone so will have to get on my laptop to post a pic. It is different and boxed/straight at the bottom like you have described.
Old 23-06-11, 05:06 PM

Hi HMPbadges,
I have just arrived home from holidays and have missed the postings !!! I look forward to seeing your photo of your find.
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 01-12-11, 10:08 PM

Default Jersey Prison cap badge variants

Whiist working at the prison I noticed that the cap badge seemed different. I have now managed to acquire one and in comparison to the original 'modern' badge it has several differences. It is now made by Firmin not Gaunt and you can see the different reverse. Also the centre piece shield is smaller and the writing is larger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jsyprisonbadges.JPG (29.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg jsyprisonbadgesrev.JPG (22.5 KB, 26 views)