British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-16, 05:31 PM

Default UDF WW2 General Services Corps Badges

I'm sure everyone has seen one of these

However I was lucky enough to find this, which I believe is an officer badge post '43?

Also I have this in my collection, a WW2 UDF cap (different cut to our late 50/60s) caps in excellent condition.

Thanks
Richard
Old 04-01-16, 02:45 AM

I don't think the crown on the GS badge had anything to do with rank. I have seen many photos of officers wearing GS badges but never with the crown. I have a set of gilt GS badges which may have been officer issue, though most WWII versions were bronze or blackened metal. I have a pair of brass collars with the crown which appear to have been stamped. I have not managed to find a cap badge with crown like yours yet to match them. I have only ever seen the one with crown in cast variety which has led me to believe it may have been an unofficial badge or trial badge. I'd love to see more information on it though as it's been bit of a mystery to me and I rather like the look of version with the crown on top Someone out there is bound to have some photos of it being worn or be able to confirm what exactly it was.
Old 04-01-16, 04:58 AM

HI,
I agree with Milhistry. This is not an 'Officers' badge. From what I can tell, these were cast in Egypt. There are a number os UDF badges that did not have a crown, but cast examples of these with a crown exist. These all appear to cast from brass with a KC added to the mould. Off hand I can think to GS badge, CC badge and NEAS badge.

The similar stamped gilding metal collars with facing springboks I have seen worn by UDF PF cadet officers while in training.

Steven