British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-10, 01:30 PM

Default WW1 - Gaunt Brandings.

Just to proove how hard it is to date a makers brand, here's a short lived badge (1916-18) worn by limited numbers but featuring two different Gaunt markings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27 August 2010 (12).jpg (42.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 27-08-10, 08:51 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Just to proove how hard it is to date a makers brand, here's a short lived badge (1916-18) worn by limited numbers but featuring two different Gaunt markings.
Keith,
I am sure that these MMs were applied via a hand stamp and hammer? There were probably a few stamps being used on the production line, the curved stamp intended for badges where there was not a suitable area for a stright mark and vice versa. However the peolpe manning the production line probably used the first that came to hand? What is good, is that your title confirms that these stamps were in use in 1916-18 for certain! And I am sure for a few years outside this bracket too?

Andy
Old 27-08-10, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Keith,
I am sure that these MMs were applied via a hand stamp and hammer? There were probably a few stamps being used on the production line, the curved stamp intended for badges where there was not a suitable area for a stright mark and vice versa. However the peolpe manning the production line probably used the first that came to hand? What is good, is that your title confirms that these stamps were in use in 1916-18 for certain! And I am sure for a few years outside this bracket too?

Andy
Oh definently....I have a pre-1908 Royal Fusiliers Militia title with a Gaunt stamp too.
Old 07-09-10, 08:23 PM

I have a Sussex Territorial RFA Shoulder Title with the curved Gaunt marking. Would this be about the same date as your titles ? Regards Alan Y
Sussex RFA.JPG Sussex RFA 2.jpg
Old 07-09-10, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Y View Post
I have a Sussex Territorial RFA Shoulder Title with the curved Gaunt marking. Would this be about the same date as your titles ? Regards Alan Y
Attachment 29646 Attachment 29647
Hi Alan,

It could well do but for certain it dates from 1908-21.
Old 07-02-11, 11:31 AM

Thanks Keith

Sorry for being a bit late replying.

I’ve found two more Gaunt marking on two bronze Yorkshire Regiment badges. One is the curved one as before and the other is J.R. Gaunt above London rather than in one line.
Would this put them into a particular date period ?
They are about the same size as the cap badge so would they also be cap badges or a pair of collar badges, all three came from the same seller.

Thanks in advace - Alan Y.

Yorks 1.JPG Yorks 2.JPG Yorks 3.JPG
Old 07-02-11, 05:33 PM

The two OSD examples in Alan Y's post would be collar badges. Although I dont kknow if the markings indicate any particular period, I tend to see them on ww1 era badges however.

CB
Old 07-02-11, 06:32 PM

Thanks CB

I was hoping they were collars but thought they might be too large. I then got confused with another one I have for the same Regiment whish is much smaller. This has a larger crown, the A and the Cross but no scrolls, Green Howards I think.

Thanks again - Alan Y.

Tags
gaunt