British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-20, 03:34 PM

Default 6th Hauraki Battalion

Just a quick question for the New Zealand members.

Is this Battalion still wearing their own cap badge? I am sure I read somewhere that they had gone over to wearing the RNZIR cap badge.

If they are still wearing their badge, does anyone have a current issue badge for sale?

Many thanks

Ron
Old 08-05-20, 08:59 PM

Hi, the former 6 Hauraki Battalion is now a company of 3/6 RNZIR, a reserve (Territorial) Battalion comprised of 3 companies: Auckland, Northland & Hauraki. The Bn catchment area is from north of Lake Taupo to the top of north Island, Hauraki coy Taupo to Auckland. (5/7 RNZIR has the rest of the north island, 2/4 RNZIR the South). Hauraki coy has Platoon HQ & Regular force Cadre based in Tauranga, Rotorua & Hamilton. The Hauraki reserve Soldiers still wear the same blackened cap & collars, with screwback washers to rear of cap & rear pins/butterfly clips to collars. (service dress jacket only) The other 2 companies in 3/6 have their own cap/collar badges, also based on their WW1 badges & interestingly Auckland company cap badge has a kings crown.5/7 & 2/4 wear the RNZIR cap badge but with their own unit collar badges.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...8&d=1545864110

Last edited by NZEF; 08-05-20 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-05-20, 02:37 AM

Thanks for that NZEF.

I did not know I actually need three cap badges to complete a set of current NZ infantry cap badges.

My knowledge of NZ Army structure/insignia is limited so I found it very interesting. Good to see that they have kept the insignia of the older regiments to, I like that a lot.

How hard is it to get these badges? Most NZ militaria I have seen seems to be the older patterns.

Many thanks once again

Ron
Old 09-05-20, 03:41 AM

No worries, yes some of the current badges & patches do come up for sale but usually are the more common types. (e.g RNZIR, or Logistics regiment) The 3/6 ones more scarce (especially the current Auckland & Northland badges) due to the small size of the units. Hauraki badges do turn up, but more often are the older brass coloured brass/gilt or anodised type. The versions worn prior the current black coloured ones, introduced c1999, can also be found with rear clutch pins & screwback posts.
Old 09-05-20, 09:21 AM

Yes, I have seen those badges and almost bought one. Thanks to you I now know better.

Will just have to keep an eye out for them.