British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-16, 08:11 PM

Default RNZA Berets

Would any member be so kind as to enlighten me with the dates of the Berets worn by members of the Royal Regiment of New Zealand Artillery, please?

Blue
Khaki
Rifle Green

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 07-08-16 at 10:25 AM. Reason: change of title
Old 07-08-16, 06:02 AM

Hi Marc, my main area of interest is pre 1953 NZ Military Headdress, so I do not have much on the RNZA after that date, but I am occasionally in contact with Bob Hammond (Ex RNZA Korea) who is an expert in RNZA badges and headdress.

It is possible that some RNZA officers may have worn a khaki beret in lieu of the field service cap as early as 1943. However it was not until the 1st July 1944 that the General Service Cap with Black diamond patch and NZ Onward badge became general issue to RNZA personnel on active service.

For those who are not aware, the General Service Cap is not exactly a beret, for one it made of numerous pieces of cloth, whereas the beret is made from one piece of cloth. Secondly the General Service Cap was usually issued to units that weren’t entitled to wear the beret.

As far as I can tell the General Service Cap remained in service up with the RNZA until 1947 with a large NZA cannon badge for wear in New Zealand and a black diamond with onward badge for overseas service.
In 1947 a 2 inch Red and Blue (horizontal) diamond patch was authorised for wear on the General Service Cap with the small NZA cannon badge with king’s crown in brass for ordinary ranks and gilt for officers.

In 1950, the 16th Field Artillery RNZA were issued the standard Kayforce khaki beret with black diamond on which was worn the small NZA cannon badge for service in Korea, although, I have seen photos of Bob H wearing a large size RA cannon badge in a group photo where everyone is wearing the small K/C NZA cannon badge.

In 1964 all units of the NZ Army were issued with the beret as standard headdress replacing the 1956 Battle Dress cap (Ski Cap) worn by units not already issued with berets.
The RNZA were given permission to wear a Navy Purple beret with a 2 inch Red and Blue (horizontal) diamond patch.

Brent

Last edited by atillathenunns; 07-08-16 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 07:40 AM

Thank you for all that information Brent, learnt a couple of things there.

I am also looking for the current 'Britemetal' badge and the older Officer's embroidered beret badge. Just in case you find any.

Marc

Tags
rnza