British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-18, 02:05 PM

Default 7th Gurkha Rifles felt hat

I bought this Gurkha felt hat this morning and I think that it might have been worn by a Rifleman of the 7th Gurkha Rifles. The badge backing seems to be the right tartan but the original badge is missing. The hat band is definitely post war and the original owners service number and his faded name are just visible.

is there anyway of dating the hat and identifying the original owner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerty 014.jpg (65.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg yerty 015.jpg (97.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg yerty 016.jpg (34.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg yerty 018.jpg (34.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-06-18, 09:51 PM

the sweatband looks very artificial fake leather so probably no older than the 60's and perhaps much newer.

A Gurkha expert might be able to date the block number allocation but unless he did something famous you are unlikely to get much info on him IMO.

Jerry
Old 10-06-18, 05:33 AM

Jerry,

many thanks. It is definitely a faux leather modern sweat band. I would like to know which would be the correct badge for a 7th Gurkha Rifles hat of this period. I suspect that it might be the O.R.'s version of this one.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7thGURKHARIFLESPOST1947.jpg (21.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-06-18, 06:51 AM

The one I have, a similar date to yours Jon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gurkha felt hat b vs.jpg (40.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg gurkha hats felt.jpg (27.4 KB, 41 views)

Jerry
Old 10-06-18, 08:30 AM

According to Kelly's badges your tartan is Hunting Stewart worn by the 10th (P.M.O.) Gurkha Rifles, whilst mine is Cameron of Erracht worn by the 7th Gurkha Rifles.
Old 10-06-18, 06:24 PM

The Cameron of Erracht tartan was authorised for the 7th GR in March 1973 - to mark the affiliation of the Regt with the Queens Own Highlanders ( Seaforth and Camerons) - ( the original affiliation had been with the Cameronians ) and was worn from then until 1994. The Hunting Stewart Tartan was worn by the 10th GR and is still worn by the Royal Gurkha Rifles to this day. Tim
Old 11-06-18, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
The Cameron of Erracht tartan was authorised for the 7th GR in March 1973 - to mark the affiliation of the Regt with the Queens Own Highlanders ( Seaforth and Camerons) - ( the original affiliation had been with the Cameronians ) and was worn from then until 1994. The Hunting Stewart Tartan was worn by the 10th GR and is still worn by the Royal Gurkha Rifles to this day. Tim
Many thanks for the information which helps to date my hat. Can you help with the service number? How do Gurkha service numbers work. Is it one long sequence from a particular date or are regiments numbered individually?
Old 11-06-18, 12:19 PM

Can't help you on the numbers I'm afraid - one thing that I did notice on your patch which intrigued me is that there is evidence of three fixing holes in the tartan backing - I can't for the life of me think of a 7GR badge of that period that wouldn't have just two lugs ?
Old 11-06-18, 01:06 PM

Was there not a two piece 7th Gurkhas a/a cap badge?
Old 11-06-18, 02:45 PM

No there wasn't - It's not listed in the definitive work on the subject "No Bull" - and I've certainly never seen one. Tim
Old 11-06-18, 04:02 PM

2 piece Gurkha signals? The main badge with lugs east and west on the 'jimmy'? It would I would imagine have to be a metal one as the anodised has all lugs vertically linear.

Just a suggestion chaps

Bess
Old 11-06-18, 05:16 PM

There was a 7thGR badge made with a slider. Possibly at some time the hat had both versions fitted to it. That would explain the higher extra hole in the patch.

Last edited by Mike H; 11-06-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 06:24 PM

A senior moment - edited, checking to see if I have photos of 2 RGR Companies (and their tartan badge backings) attached to 1RS & 2 Para that I had dealings with in Bosnia, c1999/2000.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 11-06-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 16-06-18, 07:46 AM
Banned

I'm wondering if what appears to be two layers of felt stitched together was to give the brim stiffness?

I wore felt hats for 30 years in snow, rain, dust and mud. Rabbit felt (Akubra) doesn't seem to withstand the elements as good as beaver felt, especially a higher standard say 10x and above.
But what does give the brim stiffness that will last for years is spraying the hat with women's hair spray. If you do that once a week for a few months it will last for years and is totally impervious to the elements.
Old 16-06-18, 08:18 AM

I've read that Ghurkas wear two hats, one inside the other, hence the double thickness.