British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-08, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Algonquin Regiment frosted officer's cap / collars

To celebrate my 300th posting, I wanted to put up something special. I went back to one of my favorite regiments, the Algonquins. Here is a set of officer's frosted silver king's crown cap and collars. The set shows some honest wear.
This set is probably pre-war, and they are lugged not screw post.
The Algonquin Regiment adopted the Northern Pioneer collars during WW2 to recognize the amalgamation of the Pioneers into the Algonquin Regiment. The brass large and small size canoe collars were the patterns issued to the Northern Pioneers. When the Algonquins adopted the canoe collar, it was changed to white metal. The early Algonquin other ranks small "badge pattern" collars are found in monel metal. (Monel is a nickel alloy that the Alqonquin Regiment had approval to use as the nickel was mined in the regimental area. It is magnetic.)
The Algonquins, like many other Canadian regiments, took several years before they acquired a queen's crown cap badge. The king's crown pattern was worn until the early 1960's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg algonquin regt officers frstd silver cap collar.jpg (44.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 12-04-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 12:38 PM

Now this set is a real beauty... I have never seen a frosted set so thanks a million for posting them. The Algonquins are also a favorite of mine.
Old 12-04-08, 02:28 PM

Default Bravo Bill!

Now that is a very nice set of badges Bill, How long were you putting it together? I didnt get my Algonquin set together for quite a while.
Old 12-04-08, 09:10 PM

Bill A. Outstanding set of badges to a unit I am starting to become fond of. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Algonquins have, in a twisted sort of way, joined the Irish Regiment? In Commanding Officer at any rate? I recall hearing Lt. Col. Voltonen CO of the 2IrRC talking about this. IIRC there was some concern the Irish were going to lose their identity with a merge and the CO said that was never going to happen under his command. Since he was to be CO the Unit would come to him? ( I don't really recall the whole situation, as I was not excatly sobre at the time, darned those Officers and their free beer)

Please Bill if you have any information about this matter, let me know. I am out of the loop so to speak down here in Ottawa.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 12-04-08, 09:14 PM

WoW!...Now those are seldom seen and beautiful badges....Thanks for this Bill...Really impressive!