British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-20, 12:42 PM

Question LRDG slip-on titles

As a long time fan of "Foyles War" I have studied the insignia worn by members of the cast and generally I can see no howlers, however two episodes have featured badges that I am not 100% sure are correct.

One episode featured an officer of the Bomb Disposal Squad wearing a KC gilt two metal officers badge with BD, was this badge worn during WWII?

The other episode was of the VE day celebrations and a returning member of the Long Range Desert Group was wearing white LRDG on Khaki slip-on titles, this is what has prompted me to ask members especially the SF collectors whether these ever were worn or a figment of the props department.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Rob
Old 19-06-20, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
The other episode was of the VE day celebrations and a returning member of the Long Range Desert Group was wearing white LRDG on Khaki slip-on titles, this is what has prompted me to ask members especially the SF collectors whether these ever were worn or a figment of the props department.
White on khaki LRDG titles would be a fakes.

Keith
Old 19-06-20, 04:47 PM

Cool LRDG slip-ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
White on khaki LRDG titles would be a fakes.

Keith

Thanks Keith for that information, not shown in Len Whittaker's excellent book, but no doubt will soon be available online.

Rob
Old 19-06-20, 06:02 PM

It is merely a TV drama, I have always thought the performance of the principle cast members to be really quite good and therefore entertaining, but, I would not read anything into the story lines and certainly not the costume department.

Quote:
As a long time fan of "Foyles War" I have studied the insignia worn by members of the cast and generally I can see no howlers, however two episodes have featured badges that I am not 100% sure are correct.

One episode featured an officer of the Bomb Disposal Squad wearing a KC gilt two metal officers badge with BD, was this badge worn during WWII?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Rob
Old 19-06-20, 10:48 PM

Default Foyles War

One of the reasons I started this thread is that when first shown a friend of mine who had a stall at the local collectors fair was inundated by collectors who asked him for MTTC badges as worn by Honeysuckle Weeks AKA Miss Samantha Stewart.

The power of TV should never be underestimated and people do take notice of what is worn in the way of badges.

Rob
Old 20-06-20, 04:01 AM

Totally agree. Pvt. Ryan brought on an influx of interest in Ranger and Airborne so much so that the prices went sky high....and they've never come down. Band of Brothers just fed the Airborne frenzy.

In my collection I have a few pieces from SPR and a few bits from BoB.

Terry
Old 20-06-20, 07:55 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I started this thread is that when first shown a friend of mine who had a stall at the local collectors fair was inundated by collectors who asked him for MTTC badges as worn by Honeysuckle Weeks AKA Miss Samantha Stewart.

The power of TV should never be underestimated and people do take notice of what is worn in the way of badges.

Rob
The power of movies also. As collectors of - Zulu War South Africa medals, Crimea Light Brigade chargers, RAF Dambusters, etc. etc., will testify.

Just wish I could find more Lawrence related items...

Keith
Old 20-06-20, 09:34 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
It is merely a TV drama, I have always thought the performance of the principle cast members to be really quite good and therefore entertaining, but, I would not read anything into the story lines and certainly not the costume department.
As I said previously at the start of this thread I have always been a fan of the programme and the authenticity of the settings and the props used, but I could not see why they had to use fake LRDG slip-on titles on a man who had returned from overseas, he could have been a Sapper, Gunner or anyone from an Infantry Regiment and it would not have affected the story line at all.

Perhaps it was meant to appeal to SF collectors . . !

Rob