British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-10, 10:09 PM

Default Royal Winnipeg Rifles printed title questions...

Does anyone know when the Royal Winnipeg Rifles started wearing the printed canvas shoulder titles? I know these were available later in the war, but I don't know that I have ever seen a wartime picture of one of the Black Devils with the printed titles. How common would these have been in relation to the embroidered titles? What type of title would most of the troops have worn on D-Day, for example?

On a more general note - it seems to me that printed titles (for most Canadian regiments) are much more sought after by collectors. Is there a specific reason for this? Is it because they didn't hold up as well and are harder to find in nice condition?
Old 22-07-10, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Second question first. The printed pattern titles are Second World War. For collectors, these are definitely that vintage.
First question. The RWR's did not get their printed titles until after the invasion. They were wearing embroiderd titles on D-Day.
Old 22-07-10, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Second question first. The printed pattern titles are Second World War. For collectors, these are definitely that vintage.
First question. The RWR's did not get their printed titles until after the invasion. They were wearing embroiderd titles on D-Day.
Thanks for the reply, Bill. Just trying to learn a bit more about these titles (cloth and canvas) and also figure out why they seem to be so elusive. A second world war RWR title is the only cloth title missing from my Manitoba regiment insignia collection. I have been trying to locate one for some time and am growing frustrated (perhaps one of you guys with multiple versions might be persuaded to part with just one...)

Any leads on a single wartime Royal Winnipeg Rifles cloth shoulder title would be greatly appreciated...
Old 22-07-10, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Be careful. The RWR Second World War title is oyster (silver/white) on black, but there were also that colour titles issued post war. The unit later switched to a white on dark green. Check out the militaria shows and handle as many titles as you can. It will give you a feel for the correct titles.
Old 22-07-10, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Be careful. The RWR Second World War title is oyster (silver/white) on black, but there were also that colour titles issued post war. The unit later switched to a white on dark green. Check out the militaria shows and handle as many titles as you can. It will give you a feel for the correct titles.
Unfortunately, militaria shows are few and far between in my neck of the woods. If I can't find what I am looking for at Marway, then I pretty much have to rely on the internet to locate items...
Old 22-07-10, 09:45 PM

Here is an example of an embroidered title worn by the regiment on D-Day. I've also included a picture of my current collection of Royal Winnipeg Rifles' insignia. I hope the pictures can be helpful as a reference. I do see RWRs' titles come up on eBay from time to time.

Old 02-10-10, 01:45 AM

Default What year(s) would this style have been worn?

I have not seen this style before - with "Royal Winnipeg Rifles OF Canada" embroidered on it. What can you guys tell me about this style? WW2 era? What years would this type of shoulder title have been worn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal%20Winnipeg%20Rifles%20cloth%201%20a.jpg (36.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-10-10, 11:10 AM

Default Back

you should post the back. If there is glue smeared on the back it should be WW2.
Old 13-10-10, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ledfut, the title you have illustrated is a variety of one type of title dating to the Second World War. These were not officially authorized, and may have been private purchase. Dating it is difficult, but the R Wpg Rif wore the triangular "Little Black Devil" patch until the spring of 1943. That would suggest that this one dates from 1943 until the end of the war.
Old 18-10-10, 11:42 PM

Default Painted Version

I believe there was also a painted version too.
Old 19-10-10, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Hello William. Welcome to the Forum.
By painted, do you mean the pattern that is flocked or sprayed on felt?
Old 22-10-10, 01:21 AM

Default Painted

They are painted white letters on black material similar to printed titles. I have a set. I will post pictures this weekend. This is similar to other painted titles that I believe are English made.
Old 24-10-10, 11:55 AM

Default Painted Title

This is the title I was referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03358vv.jpg (42.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03355v.jpg (47.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 24-10-10, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi William, That third title is an interesting example. From your image, it appears to be done on a canvas backing? What does the back of the title look like?
Old 24-10-10, 03:47 PM

Hi,

The backing is black like a canvas one. Should I post a picture?