British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-10, 03:48 PM

Default backing

Hi,

The backing is black like a canvas one. Should I post a picture?
Old 24-10-10, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi William, No need for a pic, the description is fine. I have not seen another example of that type of title that I can recall. As canvas was only made in the UK, it stands to reason that the title is UK in origins. As well, it is black rather than dark rifle green. At the end of the war, the regiment obtained melton titles that were the proper rifle green in colour, and the rifle green were used until unification.
Old 14-09-15, 02:05 PM

Default RWR Titles

It been a good month for RWR titles. I just received these two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000610.jpg (55.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by William Brooks; 14-09-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 14-09-15, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Those titles are a bit of a mystery. Images show them in wear in the immediate post war era. It may be that they were private purchase. There is no official authorization for these.
Old 14-09-15, 06:38 PM

I was a little surprised at your post. Most of my collection consists of British titles so I saw nothing odd about these titles. IMO they are original typical mid-war British made titles that I have seen published in other sources. For comparision, they have the exact same characteristics of the mid-war RAMC title posted below. The RAMC title has also been published in many other sources and is well accepted to be wartime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000612.jpg (28.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by William Brooks; 14-09-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14-09-15, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hello William, Please note that the titles are seen in post war images. The only authorized titles for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles are, in sequence, embroidered triangular titles with the black devil, superceded by the white on black embroidered titles with the large arc, the medium green printed titles (not accepted by the regiment), the white on black printed titles and then an issue of white on black embroidered titles were sent overseas from Canada for the CA overseas battalion. One further issue of white on dark green may have made their way overseas. At the end of the war things changed. At this time (circa May 1945) the CA Occupation Force (basically 3 CID, but reconstituted from reinforcement battalions and low point men) requested and was eventually granted permission to wear embroidered titles. But, there is no record of the above pattern title being authorized by the Senior Combatant Officer or CMHQ. Titles of the pattern shown above could well have been available for private purchase but they were not officially authorized nor is there evidence of them being acquired through the system. The only type of title that CMHQ would contract from circa late 1943 through the summer of 1945 was printed titltes. At the end of the war the enforcement of regulations was considerably relaxed and there is evidence of many unusual titles being taken into wear.
The Canadian Army (Overseas) used their own supply services for many of the items they used overseas. Insignia was (and uniforms) was one area that they controlled and did not use the RAOC. The insignia once contracted was delivered to the Central Ordnance Depot and then distributed through the Canadian supply system to the units and reinforcement depots/battalions.

Last edited by Bill A; 14-09-15 at 08:46 PM.
Old 14-09-15, 08:36 PM

Thank you for your explanation. I see your point that the titles were never authorized. I have seen your previous comments that the WW2 English made version made with full stops was not authorized and you have no pictures of it in use during the war. If I follow your discussion points, the titles above fall into the same category.
Old 29-07-21, 08:46 AM

Default Recherche

Bonjour a tous

Je suis a la recherche d'un title Royal Winnipeg riffles et d'un patch 3rd division canadienne.

Si vous êtes vendeurs je suis intéressé.

Merci d'avance