British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-07-21, 07:06 PM

Default First War Water Carrier

Other than badges I collect agricultural horsedrawn implements no problems with restrikes
but with my latest haul was this. not the normal round steel barrel type and with four taps
to fill canteens. I have been unable to find any reference to this type
IMG_20210715_144145.jpgIMG_20210715_154843.jpgIMG_20210715_154858.jpgIMG_20210715_154910.jpg
Old 16-07-21, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil s View Post
Other than badges I collect agricultural horsedrawn implements no problems with restrikes
but with my latest haul was this. not the normal round steel barrel type and with four taps
to fill canteens. I have been unable to find any reference to this type
Attachment 254520Attachment 254521Attachment 254522Attachment 254523
Very interesting, Neil. Thanks for showing.
Where are such implements to be found today?
Cheers, John
Old 16-07-21, 08:41 PM

Is there any sign of there ever having been a manufacturer's brass plate on the cart?
Old 16-07-21, 08:43 PM

Fabulous....

Well done mate, I love it.

Cheerio,
Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 16-07-21, 09:03 PM

Nice. If that was mine i would get it re galvanised.
Andy
Old 16-07-21, 11:42 PM

Amazing! You just wonder where it has been for the last 100 or so years. Any Govt "crowsfoot" marks?
Old 17-07-21, 07:35 AM

I like it a lot but not one I could sneak past my wife.
Old 17-07-21, 08:16 AM

Handy for beer too.
Old 17-07-21, 01:14 PM

I've just had a look at pp.55-57 in Smith's 'Horse-drawn transport of the British Army', which is Chapter 8 Water carts, but the models described differ from this. What are the dimensions of the cart and tank?

KR,

Pete
Old 17-07-21, 03:35 PM

Might it be German? French or even Belgium
Old 17-07-21, 08:35 PM

Just back from the showground and all these responses will answer in order

post 2
Hi John not many sitting in farm sheds now mostly in the hands of collectors, older chaps who thought if they didn't look after them they would be gone forever does that sound familiar.

Post 3
Don't believe there was a plate but I have not had time to look round it properly still haven't finished unloading the lorry and am up the showground this weekend.

Thanks Roy

Post 5
Hi Andy the existing coat is good and with vehicles it's always difficult conserve or restore?

Post 6
Normally these things would have been bought govt surplus to do something on a farm and then just stuck in the back of some shed because it might come in useful.

Post 7
Sneaking it past is the easy bit, it's hiding it afterwards

Post 8
I would expect no less from you Leigh and just to make it better the tank is baffled into compartments so if sealed five different beverages

Posts 9/10
Hi Pete and Billy
Some time next week when I get time I will go round it properly with luck the axel will be marked, between the about 1890 and 1930 many axles were warranted so had a manufacturers name and date made but you have to remove a wheel to see it. Many companies made water carts for civilian use I have catalogues for some of them but the construction of the wheels and frame is military. Artillery wheels (the hub can be dismantled and spokes replaced in the field) something you only see sometimes on farm carts that have reused secondhand govt surplus wheels, but the
frame is military because shafts can be removed two reasons first if one brakes it can be replace in seconds by a spare something no draught horse civilian cart can do. Second by removing both a pole fitting is present for those that don't know a pole sits between two horses it tends to be the preferred method used by the army all horses having the same harness. With shafts the horse stands between them and a different type of harness has to be used the advantage being only one horse is needed instead of a pair A cart this size only needs a pair if using it off road on a soft surface.
It is possibly foreign but I would suspect it more likely it never went abroad cart harness is common here but not in the army and the tank doesn't look as if it's been painted
Old 19-07-21, 06:01 PM

We don't have restrikes but suffer from bodgers/butchers at some point I suspect post 1970 the wheels have been changed, simpler to put different ones on than rebuild original, but to get them on, the axle has been ground smaller with an angle grinder hence my dating of the alteration. I don't know the standard sizes of artillery wheels but these are 4ft in diameter they look slightly small. The tank is 48"long 42"wide 10" high at the sides 20" in the middle. I think the capacity would be about 90 Imp Gallons 100 at a push.
Neil