British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-21, 12:57 AM

Default A new look for an old favourite?

Hi all

Here is that "altered" SWB I mentioned in a previous post. In my mind I had the colours reversed (i.e. blue outer, red inner) but it is still interesting to see how the SWB was adapted.

A small silver plate has been soldered to the back of the badge to support the blue enamel and a ring added for a safety chain.

The badge number has been obscured but it does end in ".......203"!

Should be easy to track down...

I was sent a photo of another adapted SWB that I'll dig out. Seems there was no limit to the lengths they would go to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swbmod.jpg (26.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-08-21, 12:26 AM

Default Two for one deal!

As promised here is the photo I was sent a year or two back. It combines an SWB with a badge for the New Zealand Returned Soldiers' Association.

The two badges have been nicely(?) combined to form a "dangler" and also gilded for good measure. Even the reverse arms of the badge (normally hollow backed like any cap/ collar badge) have had a small plate of silver sweated on to them, topped off with a flourish from the jeweller!

Normally it is impossible to identify NZ issue SWBs but there was enough of the number left to then compare it with the service file and, as luck would have it, some pedantic Records clerk had put the number of the badge on the discharge certificate. Again this wasn't a common practice.

So, here's a challenge: who can post photos of "modified" or altered SWBs? This could be the name of the serviceman, his service number (I've even heard of an address!) or other additions.

They might be professionally engraved or, as is often seen, the point of a compass or a pocket knife.

Get searching!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsaswb.jpg (33.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg rsaswb1.jpg (36.7 KB, 46 views)