British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-12, 10:02 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Default ITV Return to the Falklands

More by chance than intent I had the TV on last night when the above named programme came on. I have heard of the journalist and of Simon Weston but not the Royal Marine involved in the conflict. Nor do I wish to start a political debate at this juncture.
My reason for posting is I was quite touched/moved by the quiet dignity of the three men as they returned to the islands to revisit what were, clearly, places that moved then. It was easy to see in their eyes the events of thirty years ago that made men of them on the spot. Simon Weston stood apart and his honesty was prose but without the floweriness of a poet.

Last edited by matti467; 21-03-12 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Further thoughts
Old 21-03-12, 10:13 AM

Did you see the programme of the Vulcan bomber raid on Port Stanley airfield?
The logistic's to get one plane there was fantastic in such a short time and almost ended in tragedy.
My unit's main task after the fighting was over was to rebuild the airfield back to operational use and to extend the runway to allow the F4 Phantoms to operate there.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-03-12, 03:21 PM

There will be another episode except on UKTV 'Yesterday', it follows John Geddes and Maj Philip Neame of 2 Para, I'm also starring, very moving program.