British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-21, 07:58 AM

Default Tartan on a Tam O Shanter

Dear all,

Could you please help me to identify the tartan on this Canadian made Tam o Shanter? It seems to be the Cameronians’ one but I am not sure.

Thanks a lot,

AATTV

Old 25-09-21, 11:58 PM

I would say it is the Douglas Tartan.

Phil.
Old 26-09-21, 07:10 AM

Dear Phil,

Thank you! So Cameronians, then.

Have a nice Sunday.

Cheers,

AATTV
Old 26-09-21, 07:36 PM

Not an expert but I believe the fold / cut signifies different battalions.

Chris
Old 23-01-22, 12:36 PM

Default Douglas Tartan Used by Canadian Perth Regiment

I am sorry to come late to this discussion, but that tartan (especially that cut) was worn by the Perth Regiment of Canada. The TOS being Canadian supports this. The unit was inactivated in 1965. I will check to see if any other units used this tartan, such as cadets or officer candidates and pics of unit members wearing the TOS.

Unfortunately it is not a TOS for the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Regiment who, while wearing the Douglas tartan as a badge backing, used a different cut.

This is a TOS any collector of Scottish military headgear would be happy to have (myself included)

Great find!
Old 23-01-22, 01:00 PM

Are there any markings inside of the TOS?

This will help with determining the date of manufacture.So will its construction (eyelets, ties, etc). All of this lets you know which badge should be on it (King or Queen’s Crown).

Based on the hole spacing on the badge backing, the post-1948 cap badge is likely the right one. It was larger and the lugs spaced further apart than the Regiment’s previous cap badge.

Below are examples of the badge with KC and QC and the pre-1948 cap badge (notice the narrower lug placement) They are on a “normal” Douglas badge backing, but I believe this was for display. I will do some more research to make sure I am not wrong about my earlier comment about the cut used by the PR of C.
Old 23-01-22, 01:12 PM

One final thought. On Apr 1st 1945, The Perth Regiment was authorized to become a Scottish Unit. The unit had been affiliated with the Cameronians since the 1930s, hence the use of the Douglas tartan. Prior to the adoption of Scottish dress, the regiment wore their cap badge on a beret or service dress cap.