British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-10, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default 122nd Muskoka Battalion Unrecorded example

There are still many mysteries in the CEF issue of badges. Here is one from my special area of interest, an unrecorded example for the 122nd Battalion. The collar is marked Stanley and Aylward Toronto. Same maker mark on the cap badge. The lugs are a bit unusual, and are a heavier guage of wire than usually found.
Charlton says that there is "A Standard blunt leaf design; Framed ribbons; Unknown maker. If this is the badge illustrated below, it is far scarcer than E122A. It is also significantly different enough to merit a different category, rather than a variety of E122A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E122 unrecorded obv.jpg (42.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg E122 unrecorded rev.jpg (41.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg E122 unrecorded ob cap collars.jpg (39.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 02-02-10 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 03:25 AM

Hi Bill,

I've never seen a 122nd like yours - certainly a very rare badge - and quite a coup to have matching collars! I have seen the 122B "standard blunt leaf design" version mentioned in Charlton - it is very similar to the "pointed leaf design" and not at all like yours.

The thicker gauge copper wire is used on other Stanley and Aylward badges (e.g., 251st and 257th), I believe this is something unique to them.

It is a wonder how a small battalion like the 122nd (26 officers, 686 OR's on embarkation to France), which was absorbed into another formation (in this case the Canadian Forestry Depot) upon arrival, could end up with FOUR distinct badge patterns (including the one you have) as well as an interim badge.

Great badges!

Cheers, Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 02-02-10 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, You wouldn't have a reference or an image of the "blunt leaf" design? I have the four varieties for the 122nd, but I am not sure I have that pattern. Somenthing I need to look for.
I didn't put up an image of this, but there is also a sterling silver collar, pin back, which is likely a sweetheart pin.
Old 02-02-10, 01:04 PM

Sorry, Bill, I don't have an image. There was one up on e-bay late last year. Cheers, Ian.
Old 02-02-10, 01:20 PM

Default 122nd Inf Bn Hat Badge

Nice badge - Bill!!
It has several differences from Charlton 122B:
The leaf veins run straight, the stem is pointing left, the crown's upper rim has more "dots", the crown's base is flat with a well defined rim, the font is totally different (numerals), the "OVERSEAS" bar looks to have a edge frame and it is by a maker that is not called for in the book.

I'll trade you for a slightly used CF CBT Sigs feild hat badge (Ha Ha!!)

Larry
Old 02-02-10, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Larry, If you throw in a couple of Canada cmbt titles, we can start negotiations...