British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-09, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Loyal Edmonton Regiment

For reference, an image of several varieties of post war titles to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. The unit was granted the LOYAL designation on July 7, 1943, however it was sometime before the titles were changed. The unit was one of a handful to have two distinctly different printed titles. The second pattern included the 49 and Loyal designation. The "Loyal" embroidered titles may have been issued at the end of the war. The colours in the title were based on the battle patches of the 49th Edmonton Battalion of the First World War.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (67.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 24-12-09 at 03:12 PM.
Old 22-01-10, 02:03 AM

Bill,

Do you have pictures of the first pattern of Loyal Eddies printed title that you could post?

What are the other units that have two patterns of printed titles aside from the Loyal Eddies and the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders?

Thanks,
François
Old 22-01-10, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Printed Titles

Hello François,
Image of the 49th Edmonton Regt printed title.
There are two patterns for the Royal Montreal Regiment (with and without MG). I will go over my notes to check for others with two patterns.
What are the two patterns for the A&SH pntd titles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 ed regt pntd.jpg (28.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 22-01-10, 03:17 AM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the scan. For the A&SH titles, it's more two different shapes than two different patterns. One without clipped lower corners and one with cut lower corners. I'm not sure how to described it better and unfortunately I don't have examples to scan.

François
Old 22-01-10, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Bonjour François, I am not aware of there being different patterns for the A&SH. There was some "customization" to titles, and that may be the explanation? Done after issue. I would certainly like more information about that variation.
The canvas titles were made by a silk screening process, and the company did not cut new screens unless they had to do so. The screens used were the same for almost all units. They did change the weight of the silko material between t he 1943 and the late war issue.
Old 22-01-10, 01:17 PM

Hello Gentlemen, Bill, I think Francois is referring to the two "type' of titles shown in these two photographs.Maybe that's what you could call "customization"
Cheers
Jo
1st type,uncut, worn by the officer on the left.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3

2nd Type, worn by RSM McGinlay.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-01-10, 01:34 PM

Hi Jo,

Thank you for adding images to my description. That is exactly what I was trying to describe in words. I was not aware that these modifications to the title's shape were done on a individual level and that's why I thought that there were two approved distinct official title shapes. That's the beauty of this forum, you learn something new every day.

François
Old 22-01-10, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Morning all, Thanks for the images Jo. I have seen those pics before. I have never come across a cut down printed title for the A&SH. Images are a quite tricky when it comes to establishing the fabric, and the type worn by RSM McGilnay appears to be a melton pattern. Compare with the A&SH titles from my collection. The ones in the t shape are all melton or starch back. The "t" shaped titles were more wasteful and more complicated to produce, making them a bit more costly. The arch shaped were simple to make, wasted less material and less expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0063.jpg (55.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 22-01-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 22-01-10, 02:41 PM

Here's also a pair of "T" shaped titles, sold by an ebay seller not long ago.
Jo
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-CND-ARGYLL-S...2#ht_500wt_976

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 26-01-10, 03:45 AM

Bill, Jo, here is a scan of the two different shapes of printed A&SH titles. Looking at them I think that they both started out as arch shaped titles from the same silk screens, but how did the second one end-up as a T shaped title? Personal customization?

François
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A&SH titles.jpg (50.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 26-01-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Morning François, Thanks for posting the image. The "t" shaped title sure appears to have started life as a regulation pattern. There was a lot of dissatisfaction with the printed titles. They were seen to be inferior and cheap compared to the melton titles. However, what was issued was what you got. Someone may have felt that he would make the best of the situation by making his title look like the melton pattern.
Old 26-01-10, 09:43 PM

Here is a printed one on canvas. Cheers Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loyal edmonton.jpg (51.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 27-01-10, 03:54 AM

Thanks Brian.

Bill, were the T shaped melton A&SH titles also customized titles or were they an approved pattern?

François
Old 27-01-10, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't seen the sealed pattern docs for the A&SH to date. However, the melton and starch back patterns are found made in the "t" pattern.
Old 28-01-10, 05:01 AM

Hi Bill,

If melton titles exist in T shape, is it reasonable to assume that this pattern was approved and issued before much before war's end (VE Day)? And, if so, is it no conceivable that printed titles would have been issued in the same T shape?

François