British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-20, 12:58 PM

Ludlow is bottom right, my bad
Old 03-08-20, 04:09 PM

Nice collection.

Chris
Old 03-08-20, 05:22 PM

It would be great to see other frames you have pahannah - I am sure there is a great deal of interest here and you have a great way of displaying and labelling which is extremely useful. Thanks for sharing the badge frame, and the offer to share more ... it is extremely kind of you and much appreciated.
Regards
Mike
Old 04-08-20, 08:17 AM

Hi i have just started collecting Para cap badges and would love it if you could post a list of the variations to help me out or you can email it to me

regards
Old 04-08-20, 06:13 PM

What differences to the Parachute Regiment Economy if you have one and seeking 2 others =3 are there more? What arecthe differences?
Old 04-08-20, 06:25 PM

I thought the Para plastics were all made by one manufacturer, but not the case?
Old 04-08-20, 08:52 PM

Great display Paul. Out of curiosity, do you use engraved plates for labels?
You’ve captured a great deal of the para badge types, congrats! I wouldn’t mind seeing more pics, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I thought the Para plastics were all made by one manufacturer, but not the case?
Leigh, it is widely accepted by collectors that 3 different types of plastic para badge exist. For more information, check this out https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...tic+para+badge
Old 05-08-20, 11:24 AM

Ta, I was unaware of that.
Old 06-08-20, 04:15 PM

Hello, thanks for the interest

Yes, i have left a space for a 3rd Plastic economy cap badge, the one left is for a single hole and no strength bar to the crown if that makes sense.

The labels I get off ebay , they are metal engraved on black, and self adhesive. very cheap but the more you order the better it is.

I have a number of other frames with collections and will take pictures tomorrow.

As for variants, I am aware of the ones I have listed in the frame, and am still missing.

"P" Silver Plate
Ludlow Silver
Gaunt Hallmarked Silver
3rd Economy pattern as mentioned above

I bet I am still missing some, and would be happy to hear about others. You also have to consider the possible variations in the back, such as type of lug, width of Lug and positioning. Hence I have called out Flat Lug, Wide lugs etc as a variation. I used to have 3 of each in the frame but have worked down to 2 of each. If I find even more it may well be a frame full of single examples.

I have about 30 or so others, including a really nice mis-stamped example with flat D type lug. some are framed and tend to be the more crusty used ones which I much prefer, in this frame they tend to be lightly used at best. I will upload tomorrow.

My favorite is the Ludlow, I think it is a real quality badge, and much better looking than the Firmin. In addition I have a couple that have provenance, which is a real bonus.

I had tried to stop buying them, especially as I have quite a few, but alas I cannot resist a nice well used example.

Thanks
Paul
Old 17-09-20, 11:48 AM

Default An update

So I have picked up a few more variants over the last few weeks. My favorite is the Silver Ludlow, as I was after one for so long. I also managed to spot a voided crown white metal Firmin, and the final Plastic Economy variant I was missing.
I have updated the display to only now have single examples of the different variants. I still have a few to go, but 20+ is not too shabby.

I will add pictures of the rest of my collection to my profile, but for this thread here are pictures of the Para Cap Badge display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1237.jpg (73.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1238.jpg (64.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1236.jpg (65.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1235 copy.jpg (82.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 17-09-20, 12:00 PM

Default Update

Close ups of all the Badges are in my album.
Old 17-09-20, 06:11 PM

Great display and impressive collection! Thanks for sharing, Paul.
Old 17-09-20, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahannah View Post
So I have picked up a few more variants over the last few weeks. My favorite is the Silver Ludlow, as I was after one for so long. I also managed to spot a voided crown white metal Firmin, and the final Plastic Economy variant I was missing.
I have updated the display to only now have single examples of the different variants. I still have a few to go, but 20+ is not too shabby.

I will add pictures of the rest of my collection to my profile, but for this thread here are pictures of the Para Cap Badge display.
How is your silver Ludlow badge marked please?

Jack
Old 18-09-20, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
How is your silver Ludlow badge marked please?

Jack
Hello Jack

Here are the pictures.

On the left wing I see LUDLOW. On the right wing STERLING. And on the very point on the bottom is LUDLOW but some of the letters are not clear. And there is I think. a word below that but I cannot make it out apart from perhaps a N & D, so perhaps LONDON as per my other one?

For completeness on Ludlow I have uploaded the White metal version. The marking on the back is very clear LUDLOW LONDON

Regards
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ludlow silver.jpg (44.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ludlow silver front.jpg (35.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Ludlow white.jpg (39.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Ludlow white reverse.jpg (48.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 18-09-20, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahannah View Post

In my album are all my other frames.

SAS. Cap badges & Wings

RECCE Group. I have his Beret, AB64, pics, his knife which looks american, etc. many items not on display.

RM Commando Group. Letters, pics, his beret, belt, medals and many others, but not all displayed.

RIASC Indian Airborne officer. Nice group with many items, including his war diary. not all displayed. A stunning Indian Airborne wing, sadly not his but it is this type he wore as per the original pictures and original auction picture(someone decided to split the group sadly so I had to go find another)

Glider Frame. frame of badges

Airborne Frame. a mix of insignia/badges

Crusty collection. I really like well used items, I group these together.

I have a few other larger Parachute Regiment & Airborne frames, they are a mix of items as you will see. Some items have provenance, but most do not and are mixed up so I have to keep good account as not to mix the groups.

Berets You will see a really nice 1944 airborne beret with voided crown badge. And another 1943 airborne beret with a RECCE badge on the mannequin (this badge looks to be long term affixed to the beret looking at the imprint, etc. Both berets are WD marked 44.

Mannequin This is a mock up of an Airborne RECCE soldier. Its all genuine, and correct right down to the 1943 Ammo Boots and all of the insignia (the beret was mentioned above)

Take a look, any questions or close ups let me know. I have quite a bit more, but is not on display.