British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-11, 07:40 PM

Default 14th Light Horse dodgy seller?

This seller must have a bucket full of these 14th Light Horse cap badges, I bought one last year and he has the same badge for sale every two weeks, now has two on his site. The badge I received was not brass but copper with pickled highlights, seller stated 100% original but it does not match my other 14th Light Horse or Hussars finish at all, and has WW1 solid style lugs.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WWII-Canadian-Arm...item2c5aaf2052
Old 08-02-11, 08:21 PM

Looks to be an original badge but probably one of the hordes that were buried following the war. Huge quantities of brass badges were buried with cement and were dug up some time in the 70's.I remember certain dealers having piles of these buried badges.They all have the same coppery and somewhat degraded look to them and I,ve even seen some with remnants of cement or concrete attached to them. They're original,but were officially disposed of. Some of the types are Chateauguay,14th LH,Carelton/York,CBH,6TH Hussars, Fus St Laurent,SLI,S Albertas,PLF and a bunch of others...
Old 08-02-11, 08:32 PM

These are 'dug' badges & the coppery areas are de-zincing -- where the zinc gets leeched out of the alloy. They are legitimate, if officially disposed of badges, as MR says, and spotty quality. There is now, however, courtesy our brass banger friends in the UK, a repro 14th Hussars I've noticed of late.
Old 28-06-12, 05:02 PM

Hi Bill,

I think some sort of refrence showing fake Canadian badges as well as pre unification Candian shoulder flashes would be a great help to all collectors and might even keep SOME of the vendors honest as well.

Ron
Old 28-06-12, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48th View Post
Hi Bill,
I think some sort of refrence showing .... pre unification Candian shoulder flashes would be a great help to all collectors .....
Nobody would be interested in that!!! (Inside joke 48th, as Bill is diligently working on just such a book.)
The fake badges book is tough because it is a moving target. No sooner would you publish such a book that the fakers would have produced other, newer, fakes. They would also use the book to improve their product. This type of info is better for a forum such as this where it can be more timely.

Cheers,
Clive
(Welcome aboard)
Old 28-06-12, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Additionally, if the originals are documented and that information is available, anything that does not fit the story should be treated with great suspicion. Sixty-five years down the line, newly discovered undocumented/unknown titles are really rare. On the balance of probability, I would want reverse onus, eg prove to me that this newly found pattern was worn, rather than accept the title as original.
Clive, thanks for the plug, still at it. A bit of a plateau over the summer, but the word total is now approaching 70,000.
Old 29-06-12, 03:55 PM

I was not really thinking of a published book on the subject of fake Canadian shoulder flashes more along the lines of a site or album where pictures of known fakes could be looked and crossed reffrenced with esisting collections or future phurchases.
I agree that Bill's or any one elses detailed book would be a great help.
Eagerly awaiting your book in what ever fourm it turns out to be. I will be the first in line to buy it.
Old 29-06-12, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Nobody would be interested in that!!! (Inside joke 48th, as Bill is diligently working on just such a book.)
The fake badges book is tough because it is a moving target. No sooner would you publish such a book that the fakers would have produced other, newer, fakes. They would also use the book to improve their product. This type of info is better for a forum such as this where it can be more timely.

Cheers,
Clive
(Welcome aboard)

Speaking of books....I remember a few back seeing,at the Etobicoke show, Michael Reintjes's father showing me an incredible work done on shoulder titles. Whwtever happend to that.Michael ???????

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 26-09-13, 09:44 PM

Default reproductions

Have a CEF 151 Central Alberta Canada badge made of brass. Has a Jackson and Sons stamping on back. Question is, were they ever made of brass? Are the forgeries, reproductions now even come with manufactures names on them?
Old 26-09-13, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Any chance of an image?
Old 27-09-13, 01:27 AM

Are these Bondy badges?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/wakemeup57/m...p2047675.l2562

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 27-09-13, 04:09 AM

Bondy's list had both the COTC U of Alberta and the PEI Light Horse in copper. He doesn't list an Edmonton Fusiliers. Hearsay, but I don't think he marked his copies as copies.
Old 27-09-13, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

There was a lot of pressure put on Bondy to mark his badges, but I am not sure it ever had effect. And, he wasn't the only one making reproductions, but he at least was up front that his badges were reproductions. There were other individuals who acquired his badges and passed them on as originals. David mentioned the flat back bronze King's Own Rifles of Canada, which caught me a couple of years ago. The badge was in one of those multi dealer antique malls, and the vendor had a display case of badges. No one to answer questions, and the price was reasonable. It wasn't until I got it home and started comparing it that I identified it as bogus.
Phil commented (in another thread) that he thought Bondy only made limited numbers of badges. There are some that were produced more than others, the Lake Superior Scotish (error in spelling ) pattern being one. The proliferation of the CMHQ sterling badges is another example. Jim A provided an excellent image of a Newfoundland Highlanders badge of which he had suspicions. It is lited as a nickel plated, large size. It is for sale on the Bondy list.
Reviewing the Bondy list, I see several badges that really should be watched. The Kangaroo corps is likely another of the repros for 1 CACR , but which one? http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=Bondy
Hopefully new to the hobby collectors will pick up on the repro issues and stop buying the garbage that is out there.
Old 28-09-13, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default University of Alberta COTC copy

The vendor has give permission to copy and post the images of the badges. Here is the University of Alberta COTC.

Old 28-09-13, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Edmonton Fusiliers Copy

Images of the Edmonton Fusiliers copy.