British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-08, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default Badge Manufacturers

It would be a great reference to have a list with the various badge manufacturers of Canadian badges. The list should include the makers name, (or names), the period of time making badges (if known), badges made (as known), plus???
Old 11-02-08, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Default Cef Badge Makers

CEF BADGE MAKERS

The CEF had badges made by many manufacturers and suppliers. The names of the makers can be found on the back of some badges, but unfortunately not every badge was marked. Some brief comments on the manufacture of badges. The vast majority of badges were usually made by die striking, while some badges were made by casting. The metals used varied. Many CEF badges were made of copper with a wide range of finishes. (blackened, pickled, etc.) Other metals encountered are brass, white metal, bronze, and silver (usually associated with officer's badges). Gilted or gold washes, "frosting" (silver or gold) and "fire gilt" are finishes also found. A few badges have enamel inserts added.

Fasteners are another area of interest and important to help establish authenticity. These include lugs (loops fastened to the badge with a type of wire pin passing through the holes), both round and flat styles, tang back (pointed metal blades that fold over), pin backs, screw posts (threaded posts with a nut), and sliders (a metal blade on the vertical used to slide into a pocket or slit in the headdress). Others may have some other varieties to add.

Some makers have a definite regional association, while others appear to have supplied badges to all and sundry. Below is a list of known makers. The name on the badge may not exactly match the style of the name in the list. Additional variations of the maker names are not always found on badges by that maker. Please note the date of the latest edit at the bottom of the post. The list is arranged alphabetically, using the makers last name. Samples of maker marks courtesy of Larry Wills are attached as thumbnails.

Canadian makers.

Ash Bros.
O.B. Allan, O.B. ALLAN VANCOUVER (There may be another maker "Allen", note the different spelling.)
J.D.Bailey
Birks, Birks 1916, Birks Regd 1916
D.E.Black
M.S. Brown
Caron Fils (or Bros), (CAR Bros 1916), Caron Frères 1916 Montréal
Chauncey Maybees
F.W.Coates
Cook
Creightons
Crighton
C & S Co.
Dingley
Dingwall
Ellis Bros, P.W.Ellis & Co. Ltd., Ellis Bros Toronto,
J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd (Montreal)
G.F. Hemsley
R.J. Inglis
J & Co
J.C. Rondeau Quebec
Jacoby
Jackson (JACKSON BROS, CENTRAL ALBERTA CANADA or JACKSON BROS EDMONTON ALTA)
Kinnear & Desterre, KINNEAR & D’ESTERRE KINGSTON 1915
E.V. Lamontagne Limited
Geo H. Lees, Geo H.Lees & Co. (note this mark was found on a collar with ELLIS BROS marking as well.), Geo H. Lees & Co 1916
Lees & Creighton
Maybees
Patterson Bros
Reynolds/Port Hope
Roden Bros
Rosenthal (H ROSENTHAL / TORONTO)
Ryrie Bros Ltd (Toronto)
SAR & D'BSTERRY. KINGS/1915 (unsure of spelling)
Wm Scully (with variations on the name)
Stanley & Aylward (Stanley & Aylward Toronto)
Wellings, Wellings Mfg Co Toronto
Wheatley

US makers.

No US makers on record for CEF badges. Service Supply Company, Service Supply Rochester is a British maker.

UK makers.

Brown
W.J. Dingley B'Ham
Firmin & Son
J.R. Gaunt & Son Ltd
Goldsmith & Silversmiths Company Ltd (frequently seen as G & S Co, or THE G&S Co / 112 REGENT ST/ LONDON)
Hicks, Hicks & Sons London
Hill Brothers Bond St London (CMGC officer's cap and collar badges, with or without Canada scrolls added)
R. LillicoReiche
McDougall / LONDON
Reich Folkestone
Service Supply Company, Service Supply Rochester
Smith & Wright
Tait & Co.
Tiptaft
Wm. Twigg & Co. (27th Battalion)

Identified as C/x collar number maker.

Chapman Bros. Toronto. (C/3)

Identified as button makers.

Hicks & Sons Leadenhall ST. London (1st Bn CEF button)
H. Rosenthal, Toronto
Meer Jones, Birmingham, UK
R.J. Inglis, Winnipeg & Montreal
Roden Bros, Toronto
Smith, Kemp & Wright, Birmingham, UK
Buttons Ltd

There are more to be added to this list. In addition, many officers had badges made by jewellers, who added their maker name on the badges.
Information is based upon the Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Canadian Infantry Badges, W.K. Cross , input from other collectors, and from dealers.

See Also the King's Crown Maker Mark LIST further in the string.
MORE MAKER MARK IMAGES LATER IN THIS STRING. See Maker Marks Pt 2 and Pt 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D E Black cef.jpg (44.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Ellis cef.jpg (11.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Gaun 2.jpg (25.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Gaunt London cef.jpg (62.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg BIRKS cyclist depot cef.jpg (4.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 08-12-19 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional makers added. Maker moved on list. Added sub-section for C/x numbers.
Old 11-02-08, 10:02 PM

Excellent list Bill, certainly a lot of work went into this. I see you have Roden Brothers noted under button manufacturers, however they also made badges. I have a WWI General List badge made by them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roden Brothers1.JPG (62.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Roden Brothers10002 (Large).jpg (11.8 KB, 86 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-02-08, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I missed that one Cliff. Thanks. Roden made several badges I believe. They sure made a lot of the general list badges.
Old 12-02-08, 02:55 AM

Default a couple more

McKenzie Clay (Winnipeg)
"PMP Ltd" (Vancouver); made the Pacific Coast Militia badges
Old 12-02-08, 06:12 AM

PMP is Pressed Metal Products Ltd. of Vancouver. They are still in business making all sorts of badges and medals, including the Commanders Cross of the Order of Canada!

Cheers,

Greg
Old 13-02-08, 06:31 PM

Default A correction?

I think the manufacturer O.B. Allen is actually spelled Allan? Out of Vancouver, they made many of the Western CEF badges. Railway Service Guards for one...

Old 14-02-08, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Allen or Allan?

Thanks John. I will add the note to the original list. I am not sure that there were not two makers by the name of Allan/Allen? For now I will use the Allan with a note that there maybe another with the different spelling.
David, the initial list I posted was a CEF list. I am going to start a second list for 1920-1953 period badges, and a third list for 1953-current badges. I will do that in separate postings so they will be focused on that era.
David, did the Mackenzie Clay company make CEF badges? And, the same question for PMP? Greg notes that they are still working today.
Greg, do they make badges for the CF?
Old 14-02-08, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default King's Crown Badge Makers

This posting will be a list of the badge makers of Canadian badges, focusing on the 1920-1952 or king's crown period. Little research has been done in this area, and this list is under construction. Unlike WW1, there were far fewer makers of Canadian badges in WW2. Note: List is alphabetical based upon the makers last name.

Please note the date of the latest edit at the bottom of this post.
  1. O.B.Allan
  2. Allied Agencies & Lackie Manufacturing Co. (Toronto). (Osgoode Hall COTC contingent badges.)
  3. J.D. Bailey & Company Toronto (First issue Toronto Scottish badges, 1922.)
  4. Birks (Montreal) (Badges made by Birks include Canadian Provost Corps, Algonquin Regiment, South Saskatchewan Regiment, Lorne Scots (cap & collars 1940), Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Regiment (1938), Royal Canadian Dragoons, Royal Canadian Engineers (1945 run).
  5. Birks Made in England
  6. Breadners (Ottawa and Hull Quebec) (Lorne Scots shoulder titles 1940)(Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps 1941)(PPCLI voided pattern 1950)(RCE 1943-1945)
  7. Canadian General Rubber Co. Ltd. (Canadian Parachute Corps plastic badges, RCE, RCOC, & other Canadian plastic badges?)
  8. Caron et Frères (70 Régt de Hull worn into the 1920's)
  9. Ellis Bros. (taken over by Birks in 1928)
  10. J.R.Gaunt including:
    JR GAUNT B'HAM
    JR GAUNT LONDON
    JR GAUNT MONTREAL
    JR GAUNT MONTREAL / MADE IN ENGLAND
    (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regt), 1940. Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment 1941.)
  11. Goldsmith & Siliversmith Co (VIII Recce 14CH badges)
  12. Hemsley Montreal (some PEI Light Horse)
  13. Hicks & Sons London
  14. Hobson's (a supplier or a maker?)
  15. Jacoby Brothers (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada imperial pattern circa 1935)
  16. Lackie Toronto (VIII Hussars C 17)
  17. George H.Lees Company Ltd. (seen as Geo.H.Lees Coy) Hamilton. (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (without Wentworth) 1935)
  18. Mackenzie Clay (Winnipeg) (Manitoba Volunteer Reserve)
  19. PMP (Vancouver)for Pressed Metal Products, reading PMP VAN BC or PMP Ltd Vancouver (BC Hussars cap and collars, 1935)
  20. Roden Bros or Roden (Canadian Parachute Corps brass badges, Canadian Infantry Corps badges)
  21. Ryrie Bros (Toronto) (amalgamated with Birks 1924) (Simcoe Foresters 1921)
  22. Scully (Montreal) including:
    W SCULLY
    SCULLY LTD MONTREAL
    W SCULLY LTD MONTREAL

Scully's were the principal makers of Canadian badges during the Second World War. (Cadet Services of Canada, from 1925; Governor General's Horse Guards 1941; McMaster University.)

Note: In an email from Will Scully of the same firm, he indicated that during WW2 the firm used whatever punch or die was available for badge marking. Thus any style may be found on the badges. After the war the contracts went to the lowest bidder, and the maker mark was usually dropped as a cost cutting measure. Current contracts require that the date be added to the run. For collectors, modern Canadian Forces cap badges will now have a maker mark and date stamp on the slider or badge. Early CF examples are found without maker names or dates.
  23. Service Supply London (Toronto Scottish marked Service Supy London)
  24. Stephenson Osher Coy (Montreal) (Sault Ste Marie & Sudbury Regiment and Algonquin Regiment, Corps of Military Staff Clerks, cap and collars Prince Albert Volunteers 1942).
  25. T. Miles London (found with a Sterling mark on a VIII Recce cast badge) also found a Calgary Highlanders cast badge

Last edited by Bill A; 04-11-14 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Additional makers and details added.
Old 14-02-08, 06:01 PM

Bill,

Excellent thread idea.

Perhaps a Pre-1914 list is in order as well? I have a couple that come to mind for that period.

CEF:

1. MacDougall - London made some CEF badges. I know of both 42nd Bn and 85th Bn Officers' patterns made by them. See also my post on my 5th RHC officers glengarry badge.

KC:

1. PMP should be in this section I think. I don't know them to have made any CEF items.

2. Roden Also produced KC-period badges.

I know there are more...will post more as I remember. Will look over some buttons and add to that list as well.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 16-02-08, 01:10 AM

Default re Mckenzie Clay

Bill:

Trying to find an answer as to whether MC manufactured CEF badges, I was looking through some old auction catalogues.

I couldn't find anything noted as "McKenzie Clay"; however, I did find several others you may be interested in, as I don't think they are on your list:

- 112th Bttn Nova Scotia officers, "M.S. Brown" maker marked
- RCD officers, tangs, "J & Co."
- 57th Battery Quebec veteran's pins, "Trophy Craft" and "Seifert"
- 11th Bttn Saskatchewan, "Reich Folkestone"
- 136th Bttn Durham County, "Reynolds/Port Hope"
- a variation? 229th Bttn Moose Jaw, "Lees & Creighton"

As for Roden, "Canada" titles marked "Roden 1916", so they can get moved out of your 'buttons' list I guess.
Old 18-02-08, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Further info...

David, The RCD badge, what time period is that one? And Trophy Craft and Seifert were makers of veterans' pins only?

Last edited by Bill A; 18-02-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 18-02-08, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pre-1914 Makers

Adam asked to start a string for pre-1914 badges, so this message will start that maker list. I don't have a lot of material from that era, so help me out guys. (Sheesh, now I spend more time looking at the back of badges than admiring the obverse.)
Makers are listed alphabetically by their last name.
  1. GAUNT 53 Conduit St London
  2. J.R. Gaunt London
  3. J.R. Gaunt Montreal
  4. J.R. Gaunt Montreal / MADE IN ENGLAND
  5. Hicks & Sons London
  6. Wm. Scully

Last edited by Bill A; 10-03-08 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Additional maker(s) added.
Old 18-02-08, 07:58 PM

Default re RCD and Trophy Craft

Bill:

The catalogue description for the "J & Co." RCD badge reads, "Officer's, bronze, WW1 issue. Heavy well made, Royal Canadian Dragoons, one of three folding lugs remaining, Maker Marked J & CO on the smooth back... These badges in Bronze where (sic) WW1 issue, as this badge usually in brass."

As for the vet pins, the lot description reads like both battery pins are either vet pins or sweetheart pins: "both small colored enamel pins, screw posts...".

These are both from Marway's #112 sale, and that catalogue is still online.
http://www.marway-militaria.com/auction_112.htm

There is a pic of the RCD badge, which is quite different from the usual 'balled' horn -- very antelope-ish antelope, with lots of detailing and scribed horns.
http://www.marway-militaria.com/112_5.JPG
Old 18-02-08, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sweetheart pins...

Thank-you David, ammendment to the list has been made.

Now, an important question. Do we include sweetheart pin makers in the badge makers list? (Some are one and the same.) Or, are we into another list? Perhaps a string could be started on the Sweetheart Vets sub-board? My preference for now is to stick to badge makers.