British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-15, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi cdndragoon, Thanks for that note. I think we may have discussed the "cutthroat" collars earlier? That pattern was not authorized until shortly before the war.
In a related question, you mention the use of the cypher as a cap badge but also as a shoulder badge? Or as a collar? Was there a collar pre-springbok? Finally, can the springbok collars with the R.C.D. scroll be confirmed?
Old 30-01-15, 07:22 PM

Default Mazeas corrections....

Bill:
I can confirm that the RCD collar, with letters "R.C.D." on the lower scroll do exist.
Bill Elms (old time Toronto badge collector) put together a photgraphic catalogue of his badge collection in the 1950`s-early 60`s; I have a copy of a copy of that record, and on plate 109 of the catalogue the collar in question is stated as being "1904 collar".
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 30-01-15, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Related question, is it possible that the RCD wore the royal cyphers in the same manner as the RCR prior to the adoption of the springbok badges? It is odd that there was not a pre-springbok collar badge, but that is what Mazeas seems to suggest. And, what badge did the RCD wear in South Africa? (Never thought about this until going through Mazeas in relation to these questions.)
Old 31-01-15, 01:16 AM

Default Mazeas corrections....

Bill:
Although I can`t comment on your royal cyphers question, or what the RCD wore as a hat badge in SA, I can add that Bill Elms` description of the large size Springbok collar badges as being "1901-1904 collars". This contradicts Mazeas pre 1914 book description, which lists these large size collars and a helmet plate as being approved under GO 1895. I tend to believe Bill Elms` description, as it makes no sense that the RCD would have approved or used a Springbok symbol before the Boer War.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 31-01-15, 11:30 PM

Bill,

We did talk about the 'cutthroat' collar dogs before and I'm glad to say that I managed to acquire a set at the Ottawa show.

The Dragoons wore the royal cypher as both cap and collar badge until the springbok was introduced, with a significant overlap as the new badge was being introduced. As the story goes, the Regiment adopted the badge around 1904 but there was some delay in submitting the paperwork to the Crown (whether it was accidental or deliberate, is lost to time). The initial request, through Edward VII, was denied but was resubmitted and approved once George V took the throne in 1910, making the full approval to adopt the springbok official as of 1911.
Old 01-02-15, 12:06 AM

Any chance of getting photos/scans of these pre-1914 RCD badges for use in my re-work of the Mazeas book?
clive@servicepub.com
Thnx,
Clive
Old 01-02-15, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks cdndragoon. So the cypher would be the VRI one pre 1900. I wonder if the VRI cyphers that are attributed to the RCR were also really RCD?
Old 28-03-15, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

The badge listed at VA 4 should read Women's Ambulance Corps, BCAA. Probably the badge at VA 5 is also a Women's Ambulance Corps as well.
Old 21-04-15, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

A second pattern of the New Brunswick Rangers cap badge exists. The variety reads "NEW BRUNSWICK RANGERS" on the scroll, no "THE". To assist in identification, it will be listed as M111a.
Old 22-04-15, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

A bit more information about M111a. It has only been seen in the officers' finish.
Old 09-05-20, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

An overlooked error. Thanks to cavalryman for pointing out that Mazeas has mis-labelled C 56. It should be correctly labelled the Canadian Armoured Corps. The GO date is correct for the CAC.
Old 19-03-22, 05:38 AM

Does anyone have a link for a more up to date site that shows pre 1920 badges and helmet plates? On this site there is a lot of images missing so it's hard to know which represents what?

Example HP 195-196-197
MC. 15 or 16
C 24, or MC. 22
MC 34. MC44
MM 162
Old 31-12-23, 07:14 PM

Hello Bill, and group. I am wondering if anyone has mentioned that The Oxford Rifles M.44 collars are incorrect in Mazeas 1920-1950 book. I did a search in the tread but nothing popped up. It is possible that there were two different collars. Mazeas has Oxford Rifles in the scroll. So far, what I have found is "Pro Aries Et Focis". Always looking to learn something new.

Chris