British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-12, 05:34 PM

Why I write in prose,
Nobody knows,
But after some vino.
That's how it goes.

David you're right.
No not, Dave Wright
I should have gone to Specsavers
And checked on my sight.

But now you've shown me it's eight,
By your numbers in red.
I've embarassed myself.
So I'm going to bed.

(Not really, I haven't had enough yet.)
Regards

Brian.
Old 22-10-12, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Cheers Peter,

I have yet to see one for sale but if anyone does, I would appreciate a message ??

Dave.
Good evening Dave,
How's things with you,
I found myself
With nothing to do.

So I searched for the book,
I found six for sale.
Check on Amazon.
I'm sure you won't fail.

Regards
Brian
Old 22-10-12, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Here we go gentlemen,

This badge was bought at Stratford yesterday, the seller is a highly trusted dealer who openly admitted that he wasn't sure what exactly it was, he thought that it may be a Royal Fusiliers Side Cap badge and I bought it as such.

The silver rose helps to substantiate the connection to the Royal Fusiliers but the grenade flames are more likely to be Royal Engineers, can anyone identify it please, obviously if a Royal Fusiliers I keep it but if it is to the Royal Engineers, it goes for the same as I paid for it.

Incidentally, it's dimensions are approximately 60mm in height and 35mm in width ??

As always, thanks in advance.

Dave.
HI DAVE
Saidly I think its a duffer as the rose loks like a post WWII medal rose which has a blade to the rear for attaching to ribbon bars if you look at teh WWII rose pic you will see they are the same except for the 2 holes which the post war examples dont have ie falklands war , gulf war etc very sorry to see it happerning steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5201.JPG (37.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 22-10-12, 07:20 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Good evening Dave,
How's things with you,
I found myself
With nothing to do.

So I searched for the book,
I found six for sale.
Check on Amazon.
I'm sure you won't fail.

Regards
Brian
Hello Brian,

You are without a doubt, a star !

I decided this afternoon to look at both Abe books ( suggested ages ago by Wilf ) and of course Amazon, I eventually chose one that was described as v.good etc, etc at £9.50p plus postage on Amazon and then saw quite a few on Abe books, some cheaper but not described as so good ?? it's on it's way.

I know what you mean about the vino, after a few glasses I can no more write prose than I can write

However, without a glass or two I tried this :-

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,

We've established the number
but we don't know to who ( whom doesn't cut it )

OMG, sorry folks, I give up, I'll leave the poetry and the making of walking sticks to the master.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 22-10-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 22-10-12, 07:29 PM
Peter J

Could it be that the elusive ninth flame is a little obscured in the example used for the illustration in Churchill's book? It's a terrible photo, for sure, but I think it there may well be nine:

RF Flames.jpg

I'm not saying it's a 'definite', but certainly a 'possible'.

Peter
Old 22-10-12, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
HI DAVE
Saidly I think its a duffer as the rose loks like a post WWII medal rose which has a blade to the rear for attaching to ribbon bars if you look at teh WWII rose pic you will see they are the same except for the 2 holes which the post war examples dont have ie falklands war , gulf war etc very sorry to see it happerning steve
Hi Steve,

I think I mentioned in post #9 the possibility of it being made up to look like a Royal Fusiliers, if it has, it's fooled quite a few ' experts ' and I will be a teeny bit narked to say the least.

It proves that after all this time and advice, I have learned nowt and I can still be so easily swayed, I think I may be on the vino a little early tonight, it certainly can take the edge off a great day out ????

Dave.

PS, I forgot to load photo ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London 3 314.jpg (39.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by davec2; 22-10-12 at 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 22-10-12, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Could it be that the elusive ninth flame is a little obscured in the example used for the illustration in Churchill's book? It's a terrible photo, for sure, but I think it there may well be nine:

Attachment 71547

Peter
Hi Peter,

It's a pity you couldn't make it mate, I certainly missed having a little chat with you !

I think it might be a possibility at a stretch but I think not and we have to remember that version in Churchill is a metal badge imitating a bullion badge where as mine is definitely bullion ??

I think Steve is nearer the mark, someone has used the rose, albeit a smaller one than it should be and the finished result has fooled one of the more eminent dealers around and of course me also.

I'm saddened but I do appreciate that it can happen

Dave.
Old 22-10-12, 07:48 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Hi Peter,

It's a pity you couldn't make it mate, I certainly missed having a little chat with you !

I think it might be a possibility at a stretch but I think not and we have to remember that version in Churchill is a metal badge imitating a bullion badge where as mine is definitely bullion ??

I think Steve is nearer the mark, someone has used the rose, albeit a smaller one than it should be and the finished result has fooled one of the more eminent dealers around and of course me also.

I'm saddened but I do appreciate that it can happen

Dave.
Hello Dave,

I won't deny I was extremely sorry not to be able to make it last Sunday . Phil had volunteered me for it quite some time ago, and the Herts Pals had a bit of a jolly-up planned for the night before too... gutted!

Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way, sometimes. I look forward to that chat next time, mate .
Old 22-10-12, 07:49 PM

Dave,

It’s bad that you have ended up with something that is not what you expected but surely if the 'eminent dealer' is reputable, he will give you a full refund?

Hope it works out for you,

Ivan
Old 22-10-12, 07:55 PM

Hi Ivan,

I'm sure he will but I have to prove beyond doubt that it is a made up badge, I have to remember that he only said that he thought it was a R.Fus.' side cap badge, if it isn't but is still a ' kosher ' badge, he hasn't done anything wrong, not in my eyes anyway ??

I think that's the route I have to take for now ???

Dave.
Old 22-10-12, 08:04 PM

I'm sure there's no implication that its been sold by the dealer as a fake or that there was any intention to deceive.

But any reputable dealer will have a no quibble return policy if the buyer is not satisfied and it does seem that you are not satisfied.

Im sure you will be OK for a refund Dave.

Ivan
Old 22-10-12, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post

Attachment 71547

Peter
Peter me ole china.

Thank you.

I should perhaps also have mentioned in the previous post that it is somewhat obscure.........so perhaps 9?

Regards
Btian

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 22-10-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 22-10-12, 09:51 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Peter me ole china.

Thank you.

I should perhaps to should also have mentioned in the previous post that it is somewhat obscure.........so perhaps 9?

Regards
Btian
Brian,

Just a pity that Churchill's photo is not clearer.
Old 22-10-12, 09:59 PM

Dave
I kind of liked it to start with but then I was thinking the same as Steve in that it was something else with a medal rosette added. However, now I see your back pic I'm not so sure, the wires seem too long for this. I will look through some of my books again. Sorry if this just confuses it more.
If it helps chear you up a little, I have a few spare parts and donor bits for you
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 22-10-12, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Peter me ole china.

Thank you.

I should perhaps to should also have mentioned in the previous post that it is somewhat obscure.........so perhaps 9?

Regards
Btian
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
you'm clutching at straws,
the two of you ??