British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-11, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Expeditionary Force Gallery

The construction of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Gallery is progressing very well. Thanks in particular to Larry Will for his time in processing images, and to Mike for hosting and building the CEF Gallery, and to all the Forum members who have offered images. With the images for the infantry and corps cap badges nearing completion, narratives need to be added. It is intended to add a sketch history and badge descriptions for each unit of the CEF. To see what is intended, please view the page for the 1st "Western Ontario" Battalion. Taking a page from the wiki concept, we are asking Forum members who are interested to research and compile the information for CEF units. Below is template for use. It can be copied, and then filled in and returned. The unit profiles can be sent to me, Larry, or Mike.
The CEF Gallery is also being expanded to include collars, shoulder titles, C/x numbers, and cloth. Images of these items are welcome.
If you are going to submit battalion or unit descriptions, please post a message on this thread indicating which ones you are doing. (Hope to avoid duplication of effort this way.)

Battalion /Corps/Unit Authorized Name
Brigade and Division (as appropriate)
Canadian Expeditionary Force
Location / Localization
History (Thumbnail sketch of the unit’s history including Commanding Officer, Strength, Service overseas)
Battle Honours:
Notes: Additional information of interest, eg Victoria Cross recipients,
Type of Insignia: Identify the type of insignia as cap badge, helmet plate, collar, formation patch etc. Include appropriate catalogue references (eg Babin’s number, Charlton’s number or page. )
Time Period: Identify the outside (as far as possible) dates for the item. For example: Circa 1911 through early 1920’s.
Insignia Characteristics: Description of the item, types of metal or cloth, type of fastener, maker marks, finishes, etc.
Notes: Additional information. This may be information about the badge or wearing of the badge.

Last edited by Bill A; 06-03-11 at 03:56 PM.
Old 20-04-11, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Tom, The images are managed by Larry, and then posted to the site. They have to be of a certain dpi to manipulate for the gallery. In the gallery, the images are first set up as a thumb nail, which is a link to a high resolution image of the badges. The Forum is working with 500 dpi or better, but I would ask Larry what he prefers. The reason for the high dpi images is so that they do not lose resolution and clarity when they are expanded. And, the detail is there so that other collectors can verify the details.
Additionally, we are using images of individual badges, collars, titles and prefer to stay away from groups, though such an image can be added to the particular badge group.
Old 20-04-11, 08:59 PM

Default Submitted Images

I try to use most of what is sent to me. If it is out of focus or to small then I can't do much with the image. The example image could be used for the shoulder or collar. The result would be a little small - but! For Hat-badges I usually make them 600 pixels high by "X". The complete example image is 591 pixels high.

A larger image (in size), well focused and with good lighting is easier for me to work with.
Old 03-07-12, 01:48 AM

Default CEF Gallery and Babin's Numbering

All:
This gallery of CEF badges has become a wonderful resource. On page 1 of his book Lenard Babin said that he intended this publication to be a first draft and that one day after it had been widely circulated perhaps a supplement could be created to include the inevitable additions. Has there been any thought given to expanding Babin's system to include some additions? That is to say to try to expand the numbering system to become the one that he might have made for Vol 2 had he have created one. It would certainly make the artillery section easier to read and access in the gallery as well as include some of the many badges not drawn in his great little red book.
Thank you
Don
cefguy
Old 09-08-12, 02:11 AM

How is this project coming along? Is there a list of badges/collars that you are still missing? Is the intention to produce a new information guide?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-08-12, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Andy, If you go to the Current Projects box at the top right of the page, and click on CEF you can see the results. The project is coming along, but there are very few historical sketches. The cap badge images are extensive, but a few more are needed. We haven't got into the collars and titles in depth, and high quality images are welcome.
The Gallery itself is the reference, and continues to be based on Babin's system, with some corrections.
Old 09-08-12, 07:17 PM

Hi Bill

I have sent number of photos of 25th insignia to this project to add to the collection on three seperate occations. Since It took me a great deal of my time and effort to remove each badge from the frames I keep them in and take the photos and finally send them off and to find that none are being used and the two 25th badges I mentioned were misrepresenting officers badges are still not correctly labled. I personally will not contribute further to this project as I feel that I am waisting my time since not one image I have sent was used and that the one two piece 25th badge is not even correct but a made up piece many others will think that it is a legit piece. I do not think it is worth my time and effort to do the other battalions I have if the images are not going to be used anyways.

Stephen
Old 09-08-12, 09:23 PM

Stephen,
I have also submitted badges and waited, and waited, and waited for them to be posted. This takes patience as the work is all volunteer. I am sure that you would agree that the day job, family and other realities interfere with those things that we would really like to be doing.
I hope that you continue to contribute but respect your right to make your own decisions on how you spend your time.
The guys who do this , and it takes a considerable amount of their time, do not need me to defend them but I thought that I would throw in my tuppence worth anyway.
Cheers,
Clive
Old 09-08-12, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Stephen, My apologies, but it appears that your badge images were "mislaid". I checked my regular email for your images and couldn't find anything. I then checked an alternate email I have used previously, and they were in that file. It is an email I have not been using for over a year and I seldom check it or use it. We will address the images as soon as possible. I wish you had contacted me about them earlier. Again, my apologies.
Old 09-08-12, 10:31 PM

!? Whoa, Stephen, don't you think that is a little harsh?

Admittedly I do not know the circumstances of your image donation or the CEF gallery's administrators time and efforts, but let's keep some perspective here.

Your time and effort should definitely be valued and respected, but the gallery administrator's time and efforts are, like yours, voluntary and should be respected also. Perhaps these volunteers who have put in a considerable amount of personal time and effort thus far (for all of our benefit and the benefit of the hobby) have had other priorities which come before those of volunteer work. Making FREE reference material available online is a thankless enough task as it is… doubtful their contributions then need to then be pissed on too.

I am sure your image donations and expertise are appreciated by the administrators and I can certainly understand your frustration with the process, but perhaps a gentle reminder or a PM or two would be more appropriate than a swift kick in the junk of the volunteers and a project that is quite large and complex in scope. I imagine the CEF gallery will be a work in progress for a long time to come to make it complete and accurate…
Old 10-08-12, 12:34 AM

Oops, I didn't mean to open a can of worms here.

Thanks for the reply and I will check the pictures in the CEF gallery. I'll see if I can add some of the missing pieces of the puzzle.

How nice do you need imaging?

Andy
Old 10-08-12, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

500 dpi or larger is best.
Old 22-08-12, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

CEF Gallery has been updated. Thanks for your patience.
Old 17-09-13, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

As of today, a Google search for "Canadian Expeditionary Force badges" brings in the Forum gallery as the top hit.
There is still several cap badges and varieties of cap badges that are needed, and we can add collars and titles.
Old 25-10-13, 10:23 AM

Default CEF Gallery

Well winter (or at least Fall) has arrived, the lawn mower is put away and the gardens are done. Time to get back to processing images. Thanks to those who have sent images over the summer. I have a good size back-log to get at. It takes up to 20 min per image to do , so any image submitted will take some time to appear in the gallery. Most of the Inf Bn badges are present in the gallery, what is being added now is the variants. The Corps badges have a way to go until that gallery is complete. There have been submissions of collar and shoulder images. These will be posted also. Thanks to everyone who have contributed!! Maybe this year I'll get faster at doing the work.