British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-10, 03:43 AM

Default ROYAL DOCKYARD BATTALION

hi all
have been offered this badge and it looks and feels good but have never seen one and i had never heard of it until i googled it.
some interesting reading here http://www.pembrokedock.org/h_dockyd_battn.htm
can i have your opinions on this badge and what you think it may be worth.
its interesting to note the strengthening pieces on both sides of the scroll at the bottom and the crown to the main body. there are 2 small holes either side close to where the lugs are located.
thanks
bc

In 1846 permission was granted under General Order No 586 to raise another Defence Force again at little cost to the Government, it was titled 'The Dock Yard Corps' as its name implies the job of this new force was to protect all Ports where Royal Dockyards were located. In order to enroll the men had to be employed in these dockyards, here in Pembroke Dock the 8th Battalion formed and on doing so the Pater Volunteer Artillery, having formed in 1840 stood down. As previously mentioned other Battalions of this Corps were being formed in principal Royal Dockyards, those that appeared in the 1847 Army List were; Portsmouth - Devonport - Pembroke - Sheerness - Chatham and Woolwich. Following the Corps formation they were granted a 'Royal' title so becoming the Royal Dock Yard Corps, while the majority of these Battalions would train solely in the infantry role others would also train as artillery and sappers.
The Royal Dock Yard Corps lasted less than ten years when with the exception of the Maltese Battalion all were removed from the 1857 Army List, there was an attempt to reform them in 1860 but it came to nothing. In that year the Pater Artillery Volunteers reformed to stay in service until 1884
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9398.JPG (66.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9399.JPG (69.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9400.JPG (78.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9401.JPG (86.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9403.JPG (86.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 31-12-10, 08:12 PM

BC

PM sent

Paddy
Old 03-01-11, 07:54 PM
Banned

Hello gents,

A very interesting thread.

In the latest issue (103) of "THE ARMOURER" the is an article regarding the Royal Dockyard Battalion.

It mainly covers the patterns of sword used but also includes a picture of the badge/Shako plate adorning a Shako.

Regards

Ry
Old 03-01-11, 08:21 PM

Hi ry
Thanks for the heads up re the article. Where can I get a copy of the armourer or atleast a copy of the article and illustration? I am unfamiliar with this publication!
BC
Old 03-01-11, 08:45 PM
Banned

Hi BC,

If you are in the UK your local newsagent will be able to get you a copy.

If not please see below for further info. I hope I've not upset anyone by posting these scans but they are for info only as opposed to the article itself.

The Armourer is a very good publication as I'm sure many members will agree, with regular articles from some well known authors that you will I'm sure recognise.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 09:57 PM

... I had a friend in the Naval Dental School in Bethesda who was an exchange officer from the Royal Navy. He possessed a sword (Royal Navy pattern) that his father had bought for him marked "Royal Dockyard Battalion." Hey, sports fans, I saw the thing and I know it exists!
Doc B
Old 03-01-11, 11:51 PM
Banned

Hi Dr B,

good on you sir. It's always nice to handle a rare piece of historic value and see it in good keeping.

I had the pleasure of handling a beautifully ornate 1915 Damasc Naval dirk just over a year ago, unfortunately I was in the offices of a scrap dealer and the sword was destined for the chop that very afternoon as it was part of a police consignment.

I live fairly local to HM Dockyard Portsmouth and though fairly familiar with and having a growing interest in the remains of the numerous defensive works that are abundant on this part of the coast. I had assumed that in addition to these defenses being manned by the troops garrisoned locally of which there were no shortage and the volounteers of the day both Rifle and Artillery, that the Dockyard itself would have been defended by the Royal Marines.

I'm very pleased to learn of the existence of the Royal Dockyard Battalion and look forward to further investigation and learning.

Thanks BC

Ry
Old 04-01-11, 06:30 AM

Default seen on ebay

Is this the same badge.........bought on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=310279217223
Old 16-01-11, 03:41 PM

Default Dockyard Bn

Hi. Found this old copy of the Military Chest among my things. Hopefully it's ok to scan on as over 25 years old! Regards, Andrew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDB.jpg (62.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg RDB2.jpg (85.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg RDB3.jpg (95.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 18-05-11, 07:07 PM

Default Dockyard Battalion uniforms

The unit was pretty advanced for its day, starting in shakos and moving to Russian style spiked helmets. Everything was made and issued by Wilkinson (there is a very interesting file in the National Archive). The plate you show is officer and was transferred from shako to helmet on the change. The band had an elaborate trophy of arms/musical instruments on a plate very like the later blue cloth helmet would have. Officers had gold wire shoulder scales like navy but with red striping in the border and army rank distinctions.

I'll post some images of the helmets shortly.
Old 19-05-11, 01:19 AM

thanks mark
i appreciate your input and look forward to the images.
its a strange item. well made, but in keeping with the unusual unit that it was
bc
Old 30-06-12, 12:15 PM
button_guru

For those who are interested, there are a sward, shak
o, belt and epaulettes of one of the Maltese officers of the RDB, on display at the Malta Maritime Museum, former RN Bakery, St. Lawrence Marina, Vittoriosa.
Rgds,
button_guru
Old 10-03-15, 09:35 PM

Default Dockyard sword

Hi
I found these posts while trying to find more information on the Royal Dockyard Battalions (especially Chatham). My great grandpa was an officer in the Chatham Battalion and I have his sword, but I know very little about it and am looking for more information. The website given earlier In the thread doesn't seem to be still active, can anyone point me in a good direction to find out more general information about the Battalion and the sword.
Many thanks
Old 05-10-15, 01:30 PM

Both the RN sword and the RDB sword at first glance look very similar. However, a good initial pointer is that whereas the RN sword has a straight blade, the RDB's is slightly curved. Naturally, the etchings on the upper blade will identify each.
GTB
Old 05-10-15, 01:50 PM

It would be facinating to see who exactly enrolled in the DYB, as the discusssion of swords and the lovely shako plate suggest these were not the sweepers and tea boys but perhaps shipwriths and others of rank and substance. I'm sure there is/are a series of scholarly papers somwehere on the connection between the volunteer movement and the rising middle class in England and I wonder if this lot might be one example.