British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-10, 03:29 PM

I was given the attached wings by a veteran who served with the 4th Parachute Bn in the Med (1943-45).

Also, please find attached a photo of another gentleman who served with 4 Para Bn in the Med. Although the photo is B&W, the wings certainly appear to also have a black backing.

Best regards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgt - 4 Para Bn.jpg (71.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Parachute wings (Hudson).jpg (26.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 22-09-10, 05:49 AM

Doug,

Very nice wing, I believe your exemple to be a private purchase wing. I have a similar one but with khaki backing. It appears that all these black backed wing are unoffcial but still allowed to be worn by members of notably some members of special forces units as mentioned in this thread. The khaki backed one is the official one approved by the ordnance. RAF did not have a separate wing.

Cheers
JB
Old 22-09-10, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
photo of Svend Truelsen a Danish resistance leader and S.O.E operative.
Hi Nemo,

I noted that this is exactly the same pattern as the wing that I posted, the other SOE Officer of which I posted a link also has this pattern. So this pattern wing seems to be in vogue with SOE.
Probably they just used the same taylor for making their service dress.
JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 22-09-10 at 06:55 AM.
Old 26-02-11, 04:44 PM

I recently found a pic of a 2 commando wearing a black (or dark blue) backed para wing. I had the story heard before that 2 commando unoffcially (but then not all of them) wore black backed wings. Probably just a practice not officially adopted but tolerated.

JB

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...2_itemId=17345
Old 02-03-11, 06:16 PM

Good evening , hello Doug SA , super photo very many thanks for showing with respect Im tempted to state I think your man is wearing a ` normal ` parachute wing on khaki backing / and its the bleached out KD shirt he has that makes it appear darker ? I would very much like to be wrong but will stand by this . thanks again ,Michael.