British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 25-02-23, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Do you imply dug up items
Paul
Where else are they likely to be found unless taken over there at a later date? Maybe Borderer can be more specific.
Old 25-02-23, 08:33 AM

I think your referring to white metal badges made from a Copper, Zinc and Nickel Alloy
Depending on the soil and the time in the ground their appearance will deteriorate over time varying from verdigris to dark brown appearance , acid soil in particular will effect its integrity
Gold is the only metal that will remain unchanged from being in the ground over time.

Nickel plating was not widely available until the process was made easier by the Wells Bath (I think that is the right name) which wasn’t until toward the wars end

As an addendum
I’ve heard many a story of how badges are aged, I suppose the burying in a plant pot and peeing on it is the best way to speed up the process and get the required finish

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 25-02-23 at 08:42 AM.
Old 25-02-23, 05:02 PM

Good Afternoon Keith and Paul,

Further to my explanation why a brass badge made its way into my first book, came from a visit my late good lady wife and myself took a trip to Bruges, mainly to see where my Great Grandfather a Tunneller with 183 Tunnelling Co was injured in January 1918 at Peselhoek, Poperinge, near Ypres where we also visited the Hooge Café/Museum off the Messines Road, it was while in the museum that I saw two King’s Own Scottish Borderers cap badges, See attached photograph, I spoke to the man who operated the museum and he stated that these and in fact all the item on display in this section where recovered from the battle field around here, the Regiment did indeed fight in this area, constantly so that was no surprise. However, as Gerry pointed out in his post the Regimental museum did have a brass badge from the period on display, since removed, simply because people were unaware of fact that we never had a sealed pattern cap badge in brass for this period.

Moreover, it is quite possible that the badge recovered and on display at Hooge was covered in some form of nickel silver type covering to make it look like white metal, and through time buried in the acid soil of the Western Front it has degraded and completely been removed after being cleaned for display, we will never 100% know. To that end I felt it necessary to display the badge in my first book which notes of its existence in Hooge museum.
I have submitted two other item I have in my collection.

The second photograph on this post is again of a Cap Badge, but this is as issued Sealed Pattern in brass from the Victorian era, and can be dated circa 1874 to 1881 The King’s Own Borderers and displaying the Regimental number in Roman numerals ‘XXV’, remember the authorities issued an order in 1881 that all regimental numbers on cap badges and insignia and the introduction of provincial titles, there was an immediate obligation to design new badges etc, yet this badge was also recovered from the battle field in the Western Front, its time in the soil has cause the metal to take on a frosty sparkly appearance I purchase this on a second trip, some will ask why was a badge from this era still being worn during WW1, well if you know the unique history of King’s Own Scottish Borderers, there is no restriction against any rank wearing family members Regimental cap badges as we are, were a family regiment, it was common during my time in the regiment to see soldiers wearing silver QVC fully fretted officers pattern cap badges in their glengarry.

The third photograph is of a rare Other Ranks 25th (Sussex) Old Edinburgh Regiment of Foot small Coat Button in Pewter, recovered from the soil near Plymouth, by a metal detectorist, the soil has not been to kind, but considering that this button dated from 1782 it has stood up Fairly well all considering, one can clearly see the ‘25’ within a rope circle the word Sussex above and Regt below, the regiment was stationed in Plymouth in 1792 when in the following year 6 detachments of 120 men in each served as marines until 1797.

To sum up, various types of metals reacted in different ways while buried in soil and the acidity of the soil in different countries will effect the item, it is a learning curve and examples must be illustrated and discussed freely.
I hope this explains why it had to be included in my first book.

Warm wishes
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruges 037.jpg (56.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Bage Collection6.jpg (72.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg New Book Badges Cropped268.jpg (90.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 26-02-23, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bodeux View Post
I took a closer look on the edges of my Black Watch and it looks that it was die struck from a composite material.
I know that some german decorations were die struck from Cupal (a sheet of aluminium between two thinner sheets of copper, cold rolled together) and the edges look quite similar.
May be these badges were made of a sheet of iron between two thinner of white metal ?

Regards
Markus
I did show a border regt struck from steel and nickel plated. last photo shows the plating. I've assumed these were economy badges. No faker in their right mind would use this process? steel is an order of magnitude harder to work with?

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...36&postcount=4

16 years ago
Old 26-02-23, 06:40 PM

Very interesting again it is an FN (unmarked) badge that is magnetic. I see a possible theme. Thank you Mike

It may even be the process of striking badges in such steel or whatever (presumably cheaper) ferrous metal it is that actually damaged the dies and caused the flaws we see develop and worsen over time?

In case of the Border Regt below the crown and KOSB outside the circlet.

Your badge as I’m sure you know is from the FN die. I know Alan has one with provenance to the 1940s from his grandfather: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...t.php?p=487415

Alan has mentioned canteen badges before. Not something I’m cognisant with but could these be the like, done on the cheap as unofficial purchase or replacements via non-official channels or even something to send home to a loved one?

I’m minded also of the FE Woodward economies which appear more yellow brass than GM. Clearly some manufacturers stretched limits.
Closed Thread