British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-08, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default Argyll Light Infantry Tank

An ARGYLL LIGHT INFANTRY "TANK" badge, Canadian army reserve, WW2. (A bit of an oxymoron for the regimental name.) This is the modified badge, which took the Argyll Light Infantry and added the TANK tablet. These are reproduced.
Note the reverse of the die which shows the mirror of the TANK. Many copies do not have this. The badge was also rhodium plated, and the lugs show the plating as well. The unit, as a TANK regiment got away from the brass badges and used plated badges as being more in keeping with the armoured role.

Old 01-02-08, 02:35 AM

Very nice and super rare. I've never examined a real one to know what it looks like vrs. a fake.

G
Old 01-02-08, 02:39 AM

I usually take great pride in my powers of observation, however Bill A, many thanks for the heads up on the word 'TANK' being mirrored on the reverse of this badge. I took a look at some images and noted the fakes right off by lack of the mirror.

Funny how I never clued into something so obvious before. Many thanks.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 06-09-08, 09:55 PM

Default Another example

Killing time this afternoon... found these photos of my badge on my laptop. Odd how the plating on these badges does not cover the entire back surface

Bill M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJM_ArgyllTank.jpg (48.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 09-10-08, 04:16 AM

Default ALI (Tank) Repro for sale on eBay

Listed as an "Original", it isn't.
ebay listing

Surface lacks distinct details, lettering is wavy/ragged, the word "Tank" doesn't show through to the back.
Old 09-10-08, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that listing as well. That badge appears to be a cast badge, not a struck one.
Old 09-10-08, 02:40 PM

Guys, I'm still inclear on this badge. Are there 2 versions? One with a separate tank tablet soldered on and another with the tank incorporated into the design?

Greg

As an aside I saw one at the last gunshow, cast and flat backed with a nice W.Scully, Montreal stamp on the back. The seller who is a great guy had labled and priced as a fake
Old 09-10-08, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

The badge had TANK added to the die and the badges are struck, not cast. There should be the "negative" of the TANK striking on the reverse.
Greg, the badge you are describing, is it the brass ALI badge? Or the ALI TANK badge?
Old 10-10-08, 02:44 AM

Bill, I'll have to get back to you on that, I think it was a ALI TANK, but I can't be sure.

G
Old 10-10-08, 06:35 AM

Default the cast ALI

if it was an ALI badge, not "TANKS", with Scully stamped on it, it is/was a good badge. The pic. I sent in for the CanBadge project (M31) is a cast Scully ALI badge. picture
Old 10-10-08, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I concur with DavidS on the ALI brass badge. This issue came up at the CSMMI convention 3 or 4 years ago. A display of suspect badges was discussed, and the brass ALI badge was confirmed as good by long time collectors and dealers.
The ALI TANK badge is more of a concern as repro than the ALI badges.
Old 28-07-09, 11:11 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

That's an awfully nice badge David(if that's a repro ,it's a beauty) The ALI badge is also reproed heavily. So Bill does anyone know if the tank badge was legitimately plated or Regimently done because of preference.(Is regimently a proper word) maybe I just added another word to the English language,
Old 29-07-09, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Ray, There is a tradition that cavalry / armoured badges were done in white metal. Upon conversion to a Tank regiment, the unit may have wanted to reinforce their changed role with an appropriate finish on the badge. I don't know who had the badges plated, but it was legitimate.
This is an interesting point, as the Calgary Regt Tank was a bimetal badge, the Ontario Regt Tank kept their brass badge, and the Essex Regiment Tank was primarily a white metal badge, and last but not least the New Brunswick Regiment Tank was also brass. So I may have my notion of cavalry/tank badges being wm misconstrued.
Old 29-07-09, 01:12 AM

Bill, Three Rivers bi-metal, Fort Garry bi-metal,Sherbrooke Fusiliers bi-metal.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 29-07-09, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for those additional units Jo. The Sherbrooke Fusiliers were a wartime created unit and converted to armoured in 1942. They were never designated as a "TANK" regiment like the Three Rivers Regt or Ontario's etc. The Fort Garry's were cavalry then armoured and were not a converted infantry battalion.