British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-17, 03:18 PM

Many thanks that's a useful fact to know when looking for these. I thought that they were standard badges with the title attached.

Regards

Martyn
Old 08-08-17, 05:58 PM

Many thanks for your help. I've looked at a few and seen that the titles are often attached in a different position to mine.

Regards

Martyn
Old 17-02-18, 05:54 PM

That is certainly a very good point, one which I have always thought people forget, both collectors and fortunately the idiots that have fabricated completely spurious examples over a number of decades, on occasion, using original MGC cap badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
Proper MMG badges should have "fat" Vickers guns. These badges - with the standard MGC issue badge - are all dud.
Old 31-08-18, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
on occasion, using original MGC cap badges.
Interesting point Frank. I think I have one of these "cut and shunt" badges tucked away in my archives that I have had for some considerable amount of time now. It doesn't have the obvious die flaw in the crown and is certainly an original MGC cap badge and possibly an original MMG part also. Can you show one of these spurious badges? I would like to compare the construction when I manage to find the relevant file.
Old 01-09-18, 03:34 PM

Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Interesting point Frank. I think I have one of these "cut and shunt" badges tucked away in my archives that I have had for some considerable amount of time now. It doesn't have the obvious die flaw in the crown and is certainly an original MGC cap badge and possibly an original MMG part also. Can you show one of these spurious badges? I would like to compare the construction when I manage to find the relevant file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030353.jpg (64.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-09-18, 05:45 AM

Thanks Frank.

Any chance a shot of the reverse please?

Sadly I can't find the badge that I mentioned in post #19, but I do have the one shown below which I purchased more recently out of curiosity. Again, an original cap badge and the braze is convincing, but the "MMG" is dubious. Fortunately, I haven't come across to many of these "Frankenstein" badges with most being the typical fake you find showing the die flaw in the crown although looking at ebay, these do still tend to fool some.

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 05:52 AM

This is the more common fake that I mention. It is an old picture so not that good I am afraid, but clearly shows the fault in the crown.

Old 02-09-18, 05:57 AM

This one however is quite a good fake. Once in the hand it is quite obvious though, being very flat and unusually heavy. It will often be found with dubious maker marks on the shank. Again old pictures.