British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-11, 04:59 AM

Unhappy RNWMP Cap Badge: Real or Reproduction?

Can any one tell me if the attached cap badge is real or a reproduction made to look old. The bottom portion looks to be filled, but I don't see a '73 or 1973 on the back. The Gaunt hallmark is attached unlike other reproductions.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 515419340_tp[1].jpg (47.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 515419366_tp[1].jpg (43.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-11-11, 03:27 PM

Default RCMP

It looks good to me, the reproductions for the centenial are bright and are thinly stamped.

But oddly I picked up a set of reproductions of the centential, no stamping on the back and are coloured pretending to be enamled.
Old 09-11-11, 04:03 PM

I have a K/C RCMP with the large Gaunt disc and I have been told it is a reproduction.
I have seen three sets of centennial badges.
Two were made by Gaunt. One set with enamel, the other without.
A cheaper set with the blue paint.

Phil
Old 09-11-11, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

From the looks of the badge, it is cast, not struck. The example I have is struck.

Last edited by Bill A; 10-11-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-11-11, 11:57 PM

Default Real or Repro

Dean

I am assuming that you are a member by your handle. I do not know if you have access to a Fall 1982 Quarterly, but there was an article in that publication titled "Collectors Beware". It was writen by Edward McCann, who was the Curator of the RCMP Museum at the time. It dealt with repros of the NWMP Cap Badge, complete with pictures of the front and reverse (NWMP), but he also talks about the RNWMP Cap Badge.

Long story short, once the 1973 sets were produced, a private collector approached the RCMP to verify the authenticity of a Cap Badge he had been offered for $150.00. He failed to note the remaining portions of the "7" and the "3" on the reverse of the badge.

By the fall of 1973, collectors could buy a set of badges that were not even date stamped, complete with metal manufacturers disc on the reverse.

I do not profess to be an expert on the NWMP or RNWMP Cap Badges but imo, I do not think it is original, mainly because of the reverse of the ribbon that has Royal North West Mounted Police on the front. It should in my opinion be able to be read on the reverse.

The Crime Lab established that these copies were from the same dies that had struck the Centennial Set. The manufacturer was approached and admitted that they had made them for sale only to the British dealers market. It did not take long to make their way across the ocean and into Canada and the U.S. Others were struck about 1965 for a private collector in Eastern Canada to fill a void in his and other peoples collection. They were both in yellow brass and white metal finished in black.

He goes on to say that ultimately, the best way to become familiar with repros is to examine them and to compare them to originals from a trusted source.

Jack
Old 10-11-11, 02:56 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I believe the badge is cast and not struck and therefore is a good quality reproduction. I compared it to a known original and it is noticably different.

Thanks,

Dean
Old 10-11-11, 07:38 PM

Default Known repop

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200670329210?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

This is a known repop to compare...

Tags
cap badge, rcmp, real, reproduction, rnwmp