British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-20, 01:28 PM

Default Wartime letter of commendation

Gents, I post the attached purely as something of interest and not a little pride on my part.

My Grandfather was a reservist in the Middlesex Regt prior to the war, however was not mobilised as he worked on the railway, a position which precluded him for military service as it was a reserved occupation. He was however a Team Leader on a Civil Defence Rescue Team ( effectively rescuing people from bomb damaged buildings etc). No doubt at times a most harrowing occupation in it's own way.

He died about 5 years before I was born, therefore sadly I never knew him. He was I am assured a lovely man and sorely missed by the wider family when he died.

The attached letter I was given by my Dad recently and post it here for your interest.

I do recall seeing this as a child, when my Grandmother showed it to me. It transpired that my Grandfather had omitted to mention this dangerous action to her, and she only found out about it when the attached letter dropped on the Matt. She was not impressed.

For my late Grandfather, Robert Bessent. Your are still remembered.

Regards all

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200604_163624.jpg (70.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 04-07-20, 02:21 PM

A great letter for the family archive.

Chris
Old 04-07-20, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents, I post the attached purely as something of interest and not a little pride on my part.

My Grandfather was a reservist in the Middlesex Regt prior to the war, however was not mobilised as he worked on the railway, a position which precluded him for military service as it was a reserved occupation. He was however a Team Leader on a Civil Defence Rescue Team ( effectively rescuing people from bomb damaged buildings etc). No doubt at times a most harrowing occupation in it's own way.

He died about 5 years before I was born, therefore sadly I never knew him. He was I am assured a lovely man and sorely missed by the wider family when he died.

The attached letter I was given by my Dad recently and post it here for your interest.

I do recall seeing this as a child, when my Grandmother showed it to me. It transpired that my Grandfather had omitted to mention this dangerous action to her, and she only found out about it when the attached letter dropped on the Matt. She was not impressed.

For my late Grandfather, Robert Bessent. Your are still remembered.

Regards all

Bess
A great letter. The full story of the UX mine is told in this excellent booklet. (The Rescue Squad is mentioned, but not Mr Bessent):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ordeal-in...wAAOSwyKhe5jyM
Old 04-07-20, 05:24 PM

Many thanks, indeed the mine is mentioned for 24th Sept. Bedford park is still a country park.

Regards all

Bess
Old 04-07-20, 05:25 PM

Many thanks Cam. It is indeed and probably fairly unique.

QUOTE=CAM;515018]A great letter for the family archive.

Chris[/QUOTE]
Old 09-07-20, 10:31 PM

Smile Home Front Heroes

An interesting letter, at least your Grandfather was acknowledged and rightly so, many I'm sure were never mentioned, but a lovely family item which should be kept.

Rob
Old 09-07-20, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
An interesting letter, at least your Grandfather was acknowledged and rightly so, many I'm sure were never mentioned, but a lovely family item which should be kept.

Rob
Thanks Rob. Indeed a snapshot of a time very hard to imagine now and one of many thousands of incidents that are just lost in time.

All the very best all

Bess
Old 15-07-20, 01:56 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

G'day Bess

Thanks for sharing the letter its things like that make up the full tapestry of what went on that is otherwise not recorded.

I also have a letter that was brought to my attention by my friend and Crimean researcher, Phil Boys that was sent by a relative who had survived the Charge of the Light Brigade and was written 3 days after the charge to his brother back in England. This letter and another were published in the Warrington newspaper

In his case the horse was slightly wounded and he snapped his lance just in front of his knee. He lived to fight another day as they say.

Regards

Phil.
Old 19-07-20, 06:51 PM

Bess
Many thanks for sharing the letter you are rightly proud off - it was 'Total' war in the true sense of the word and the concentration of bombs around your Grand Father's patch would have kept him very busy. Another unsung hero who would simply regard their actions as 'simply doing my bit'. A very understated generation - we must remember the parts they all played.
Mike
Old 19-07-20, 08:53 PM

Definitely something to be proud of, brave men.
Andy
Old 26-07-20, 06:41 PM

Many thanks guys.

Best wishes to all

Bess