British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-23, 04:30 PM

Default Table Centre Piece Statuette of 1 RNF Drummers and Colours.

From initial photographs I thought this may be a commercially produced item. The base looked to me to be similar to a thin, soft metallic plastic used for cheap Hong Kong made toys in the 1960’s, perhaps filled with a ballast like sand.
Upon receiving it I found that the base is of painted plaster, the Colours of stiff paper, the rose wreaths of crepe paper and wire, I can't determine what the figurines are made of.
It's 16 1'2" tall, weighs 10 lbs.
The Colours bear the King's Crown, and the wording and badges on the base includes "Royal", so the figures and Colours it represents date between circa 1935 and the presentation of the 1st Bns Queen's St. Edwards Crown Colours - if new Colours were presented prior to the formation of RRF in 1968. The finials bear the Victorian Crown.
Now wondering if it was a St George's Day centre piece for use in the cookhouse or canteen, I contacted the Fusiliers Association website who made enquiries and identified this thanks to Lesley Frater, the Manager of The Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland, Abbot's Tower, Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, NE661NG, who states:

“The Chairman of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, All Ranks Club, Mr Bill Hall, produced this centrepiece. It would have been one of several, one of which would have been displayed in the centre of each table at the St George's Dinner that he runs on behalf of the Club in April each year at The Federation Brewery, Dunstan. Bill's copyright mark - an interlinked W & H followed by the year suggests that it was used for the dinner in 2004.
You are correct that it is made of plaster and paper. Bill makes a very good job of making these centrepieces and strives for accuracy - he produces a different one for each year that the dinner is held.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220914_105329.jpg (40.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20220914_110408~2.jpg (41.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20220914_110355~2.jpg (39.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20220914_110214~2.jpg (46.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20220914_110457~2.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 17-11-23, 06:01 PM

Very nice figure Leigh. Something like this always compliments a collection in my opinion!

Terry
Old 17-11-23, 06:09 PM

Thanks, it has its critics, but it's fairly imposing, and it has its own history.