British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-16, 04:59 PM

Default 219th Silver Cap

All:
I thought I would throw this out for viewing and thoughts before I submit it to the CEF book project. In other words I don't want to submit a "duff" badge for the book. It is the only one that I have seen like it. It is all silver and feels really nice in the hand.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 219 silver cap front.jpg (41.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 219th silver cap back.jpg (42.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 219th cap lug#1.jpg (32.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 219th silver cap lug #2.jpg (27.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-10-16, 08:25 PM

Looks good to me as it has all the earmarks for the appropriate Hemsley pattern badge (voids where they are supposed to be and appropriate lugs). Is it silver, i.e hallmarked or marked 'sterling', if not it is likely silver plate. The number of badges from CEF units which where either silver plated or gilt are numerous and of course not much info remains on why, etc. Nice badge.
Old 05-10-16, 08:54 PM

When you look at the badge under magnification, there is no sign of the base metal showing through. There is a bit of brownish discolouration on parts of the badge. Even when you look at the tips of the leaf where it would have taken the wear there is no sign of brass or copper showing through. There are no markings on the back at all that I can find. The badge is almost a "frosted" silver look. It weighs 22 grams compared to 19 grams of the pickled brass version that sits beside it in the collection. If the strikings were otherwise relatively the same then the weight difference would be consistent with the difference between rolled or drawn brass and silver. I have always thought it to be a good badge. It came out of an estate in Nova Scotia, with I acknowledge is not definitive proof of lineage.
Don
Old 05-10-16, 11:01 PM

Looks Like a good one Don - send it in (photo to Larry, badge to me!). Could well be a solid silver badge, just not Sterling. Cheers, Ian
Old 05-10-16, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Don, are you saying pure silver? Or, plated?
Old 06-10-16, 01:28 AM

Bill:
All I can say is that I cannot see evidence of the base metal showing through under magnification. Should I take a hack saw to it and cut it in half?
Don
Old 06-10-16, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Don, that would certainly reveal the metal. Maybe instead, a less damaging method, expose the metal with a grinder?
Old 06-10-16, 02:13 PM

Bill:
I'm on it...
Don