British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-20, 10:39 AM

Default Australian BCOF Shoulder Title

Hello All,

I was recently given some photos of my recently deceased uncle who served in the Australian Contingent of the BCOF in Japan.

The attached photo shows him and some mates with cloth Australia titles above the BCOF patch, I can't say I have ever seen this type of cloth title on battle dress before. A later photo of the same group shows them wearing their normal Corps cloth shoulder titles.

Was the "Australia" just used during the initial period of occupation?

Regards

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cert105.jpg (59.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 30-07-20, 07:30 PM

Title, ‘AUSTRALIA’, Embroidered, 1944-1952: Auth. GRO 285/1944 of 04 Aug 44.

Approved for wear by all personnel who were serving overseas on special duties, liaison duties, or with the Australian Army Staff, London, the Australian Military Mission, Washington, or similar organizations. It could not be worn by members serving overseas as part of an operational force without the prior approval of LHQ. It was not to be worn prior to embarkation from Australia, and was to be removed prior to disembarkation on return to Australia, or on transfer to any area where members of the AMF formed part of an operational force.

It was authorised in 1946 for wear by all personnel serving as part of the AMF component of BCOF, Japan. To be worn directly above the colour patch on the sleeves of greatcoats and jackets, SD.

Keith
Old 31-07-20, 01:51 AM

Thanks Keith

You are a wealth of knowledge as usual.

Dennis
Old 31-07-20, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside410 View Post
Hello All,

I was recently given some photos of my recently deceased uncle who served in the Australian Contingent of the BCOF in Japan.

The attached photo shows him and some mates with cloth Australia titles above the BCOF patch, I can't say I have ever seen this type of cloth title on battle dress before. A later photo of the same group shows them wearing their normal Corps cloth shoulder titles.

Was the "Australia" just used during the initial period of occupation?

Regards

Dennis
Nice photo -- thanks for posting. These guys aren't wearing battledress, but WW2 period service dress tunics with the collars open civvy style to show shirts and ties. When I get a chance I'll post a photo of one such in my collection, which has all the BCOF insignia on it.
Old 31-07-20, 08:49 AM

Military Board Instruction 29 of 10 May 1946 was the authority for BCOF personnel to wear them. Sorry, couldn't find the reference in time this morning.

Keith
Old 01-08-20, 12:24 AM

This tunic was owned by a chap with a VX service number. He served in New Guinea with 23 A/A Bty among other units, and remained in the army after the war. He was in BCOF with 67 Bn (the precursor of 3 RAR) and was discharged in 1947. Unlike the tunics of the men in the photograph, this one also has its metal AUSTRALIA titles, which would obviously be redundant under normal circumstances. I've had this item for over 10 years, but I'm fairly certain the metal titles were on it when I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1439 (2).jpg (58.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1440 (2).jpg (56.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1441.jpg (70.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-08-20, 03:48 AM

Thanks to all for the information and the colour photos of the insignia, nice to learn something new
Old 07-08-20, 01:35 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

What you have to remember is that a lot of BCOF and Korea diggers stationed in Japan had woven, embroidered and Bullion embroidered badges made up and worn on their uniforms. At the Upwey/Belgrave RSL Running Rabbits Military Museum we have a late members battle dress blouse that has bullion embroidered sleeve badge and shoulder title.

Unfortunately owing to the Covid 19 lock down I cant get to the museum so cant photograph them for you. I will see if I can do this after the lock down is over in 6 or more weeks time.

In the mean time Im keeping my head down and being safe.

Regards

Phil.