British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-08, 06:16 AM

Default Crease mark on sliders

I was once told that the crease mark that runs along the top of the slider where the 90 degree bend starts is a "mark" of distinction, that the slider was "home made"....Meaning it was from a restrike shop!

Any comments....It is my fear and deep regret that some "distinguished" cap badge dealer may have found the temptation to sell restrikes too tempting.

This hobby is soon becoming a headache. I do not mind buying restrikes, fakes, so long as they are sold as such. In fact I have a few "fillers" that I knowingly brought as such.......However, I'm now wondering if I have been taken for a ride by some with "good" reputaions.

Britbadge,
Old 07-03-08, 07:06 AM

Bb,
I think most of the 'older'(in time, not age here) would agree that in the past,these marks are/were a good sign of an origional slider.Fairly recently used on fakes to help give the appearance of origionality. Though most of the new ones that I have seen still look a little amateurish.Being added later with a hacksaw or file or even a chisel strike. Often far lower down than on the origionals.Should be just fractionally lower than the bend, generally.
Often refered to as 'crimping lines' or 'notches', my own term is a 'bending groove'. As this was explained to me a long while back now,as a feature added ,by some manufacturers only ,to make the slider bend more readily at this point,reducing any strain on the joint where the slider was affixed to the badge,when being bent out for positioning in the often thick cap material.
Of course ,like most things not laid down in official contemporary writings,this is open to discussion.
So not 'home made' here,but normally ,the "Real Deal" !! A slightly only ,tapering slider (towards the lower end)can be another good feature,but not too tapering & not found in all cases.! Slider length ,that suits the badge correctly, is another good feature,often not considered by the repro makers & can look too short on some bigger badges here!
Though extra long sliders were used on Pagri badges.
As usual ,nothing is overly simple,always some exceptions to the rules,but experience certainly goes a long way to making it all work !
Hope this helps ??
Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 07-03-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-03-08, 12:53 PM

To me, the mark on some sliders is nothing more than an artefact of forming the bend - an incidental marking rather than a deliberate input. With a background in manufacturing (NOT badges!!), I have seen and made these types of marks many times. When forming a radius/bend, the material is held between pins, and then a tool rotates just beyond one of the pins to form the bend. The type of tool edge that rotates beyond the pin can determine if a mark on the material is left. A fairly sharp edge will result in the lines seen on sliders, and with the direction of swing, the mark will always be to the outside of the bend (as on the face of a slider when viewed). A more radiused edge will have less chance of making a mark, and a roller/rolling edge will not leave any mark.

Again, this is merely what I see when I notice these marks in sliders. It could be a deliberate intention on the part of badge manufacturers, but my inclination is that it is not.

Dean
Old 07-03-08, 04:43 PM

Some restrikes have had crimp lines put on the slider in a bid to decieve but like all things in badge collecting it is a spectrum of things that leads one to the decision on a badges originality or not.

I would never call a badge genuine on the sole being of it possesing a crimp line on the slider, but if the badge has other indications of a genuine item then it is nice point to have.

I certainly wouldn't let it put you off badges certain ones like most London regiment badges seem more often than not to come with crimped sliders.

Luke
Old 07-03-08, 06:23 PM

Default Crimping or "bending groove"

Firstly....Thank you all for the fast response and great education.....And proper lingo......I'm new to the Forum and already find it a wounderful avenue to great help and a wealth of information.

Cheers,

Drew