British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-19, 05:06 PM

Default Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chief of Staffs Committee

Since November 2018 Warrant Officer Class One Glenn Haughton, OBE has served with the title of Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC) having been the Army Sergeant Major, the most senior warrant officer and member of the other ranks in the British Army from March 2015 to 2018.

I admit to being somewhat out of touch with the modern British Army but since when has it used the term Enlisted for those not commissioned officers? I thought the use of the word was restricted to the US Army.

Can someone enlighten me?

Jon
Old 29-01-19, 05:30 PM

As 'Army Sergeant Major' seems to be an American Army term perhaps 'Senior Enlisted Advisor' is too?

Tim
Old 29-01-19, 06:34 PM

Tim,

Undoubtedly so but why are we copying them?

Jon
Old 29-01-19, 06:38 PM

Presumably some form of standardisation.
In the past I've seen images of British officers using stars in lieu of rank crowns, the new Marksman's badges worn on the breast have more than a touch of Americana about them.
Old 29-01-19, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Tim,

Undoubtedly so but why are we copying them?

Jon
Because the current CDS was CGS and chose to copy the US Forces who had worked with a lot. Simple as that.

The rank abgdes are worn in parallel with US rank so the US soldiers understand that they are a major or colonel etc - not a replacement but an addition on the collar.
Old 29-01-19, 08:02 PM

Ive no idea, served with him though.
Andy
Old 30-01-19, 10:14 AM

Back on October I had a glimpse of the Army Sergeant Major, who was wearing his badge of rank/appointment in guards fashion on his upper arm: it appeared to be like a Conductor’s badge, but enormous and in cloth.
His cap badge, on a No2 Dress (khaki) Cap, was that of a Brigadier/Colonel, but a touch larger.
I do emphasise that it was only a glimpse and not a “hands-on” chance of examining badges, not seen before.
Old 30-01-19, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

He wear a General Staff cap badge.

https://www.armytimes.com/resizer/j8...I55YVFNZQQ.jpg
Old 30-01-19, 10:58 AM

Because of the significant cuts in the size of the Army since 2006 there are less opportunities now for Late Entry (LE) commissions from the ranks and I know from discussions in which I took part that there were some senior officers (of Colonel and above) who felt that there were too many LE officers anyway, albeit that not all agreed. My understanding is that the chiefs of staff committee met at one point and discussed as an agenda item how to ensure that there were still opportunities for ‘outstanding warrant officers’ to achieve advancement beyond RSM. It was also felt that there was a need to have advisers in touch with grass roots feeling in each arm and departmental corps who could act as conduits from the ranks to the general staff. This led to the creation/extension of so-called corps sergeant majors (something the RA had blazed a trail with). As always in recent years when there has been so much change and amalgamation there has been an attempt to maintain an historical golden thread with these appointments in terms of the badge of appointment (the rank remains WOI albeit with enhanced banded pay), and since 1918 the most senior WOIs have always worn the Royal Arms within a wreath of laurels. Each arm/Corps then identified by either, an emblem (e.g. a gun), and coloured surround or the latter alone. Finally, the British term, other ranks, has lost popularity in some respects and, as Armies like that of Canada and Australia had already embraced the long-standing U.S. policy of having a (or ‘the’) senior enlisted man attached to the general staff as an adviser, the British Army has rather belatedly followed suit, using the same term so as to make clear across NATO and the ABCA Nations that the function and status are the same.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-01-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 30-01-19, 11:05 AM

Toby,

Thank you. A very clear explanation of a complicated subject.

Jon
Old 31-01-19, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
So is this another badge now required for a collection if so where do I find one??
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)