British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-15, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Henk

Sadly, no caption that I recall. I'm sure I would have noted and kept it. This photo came from news coverage of this year's Republic Day parade in New delhi and I know that at least one and probably more of the units are former States Forces so I don't even think there is one man per regiment of the pre-47 units and the detective work needed to ID them all is more than my poor brain can contemplate.
Thanks for the information. Rather recent then.

It will indeed take people having more expertise then I have to identify them.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 07-10-15, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Henk

Sadly, no caption that I recall. I'm sure I would have noted and kept it. This photo came from news coverage of this year's Republic Day parade in New delhi and I know that at least one and probably more of the units are former States Forces so I don't even think there is one man per regiment of the pre-47 units and the detective work needed to ID them all is more than my poor brain can contemplate.
Nice photograph thanks for sharing: The sowar ( in the middle) wearing green dress and red turban is from 9th Deccan Horse, the style of turban is different and was actually used when they were part of the Nizam's Hyderabad Contingent.
Old 08-10-15, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffer View Post
Nice photograph thanks for sharing: The sowar ( in the middle) wearing green dress and red turban is from 9th Deccan Horse, the style of turban is different and was actually used when they were part of the Nizam's Hyderabad Contingent.
That is 10 more to go. Thanks.

Old 08-10-15, 07:07 AM

BTW. Did you see that the photographer did everything to get a nice picture of the different uniforms against a neutral background? Not to close together so you can see many details, lance pennons fluttering, .... Except the that he should have made them to make two passes to their left in order to avoid that ugly pipe.

Old 08-10-15, 07:38 AM

Hello Peter,
Yes, I'm afraid that the monochrome photographs of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries really don't do justice to some magnificent uniforms.
Notwithstanding, I myself don't much like the Alkalak or the Kurta and it is important to remember that not all European officers, depending upon the particular regiment concerned, actually wore them in the nineteenth century anyway, of course, at the turn of the twentieth, they became almost a fashion statement.
When they were worn, even the plain field service order versions looked superb in particular with the given regiments colourful Lungi.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Dress uniforms of modern Indian Army cavalry [armoured] regiments. This gives one at least a flavour of the uniforms of the Raj.
Old 09-10-15, 02:10 PM

A challenge to the rest of us: '10 to go'!

Frank, I agree that not all BOs wore the Indian styles but while I don't like the 'bib style' alkalak worn by the man from the 9th I personally find the kurta an attractive cut - very simple, so lending itself to 'accessorizing' with belts, embroidery and so on. But that's a personal aesthetic judgement on which we can easily differ!