British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-14, 09:58 AM

Default RDG Cap and Beret Badges

I am attempting to reorganise my RDG badges into some semblance of order. Given the plethora of badges to this regiment over its relatively short existence would it be too simplistic to assume that those badges with sliders were, and are, worn by ORs and that those with lugs are worn by Officers, not forgetting the RSM of course?

I saw the RDG's Pipes and Drums on the TV recently, performing in Edinburgh, and was surprised to note just how many badges of a similar nature were worn by the pipers, on the headdress, plaid, baldrick, and sporran. They could all be cap badges with sliders but, I assume, because of where they are worn they would be badges with lugs.

There are also badge(s) worn on the kilt but I'm not sure what the are. Tradition suggests that they are those of the pre-amalgamation regiments.

As always all help, thoughts and ideas together with any photographs greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 01-09-14, 11:36 AM

Hi Gorden just loaded a board of some R.D.G cap badges nothing very interesting All marker marked

David
Old 02-09-14, 09:00 AM

Default RDG Headress Badges

Hi David

Many thanks for your reply; have you posted these on the Forum anywhere? I'm not sure where to look.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 02-09-14, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
I am attempting to reorganise my RDG badges into some semblance of order. Given the plethora of badges to this regiment over its relatively short existence would it be too simplistic to assume that those badges with sliders were, and are, worn by ORs and that those with lugs are worn by Officers, not forgetting the RSM of course?

Gordon
Gordon

there is some info on this thread

http://britishbadgeforum.com/forums/...t=34389&page=2

I have put what I think to be true on post # 17. The point on sliders vs. loops above ceases to hold post c.1995 due to the adoption of the superior finish badge by O/Rs.

sincerely

John
Old 02-09-14, 10:57 AM

Hi Gordon
The board of badges can be found in my album or in the gallery The 2 lower badges are the london badge and button co

Left 1 -no red flag and blue inniskilling scroll
Right red flag and silver inniskilling scroll

recently added bullion beret badge & mess collars
rank slides ,stable belt etc not shown
Bodsworth has the cloth badges used before metal badges were available

David
Old 02-09-14, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I saw the RDG's Pipes and Drums on the TV recently, performing in Edinburgh, and was surprised to note just how many badges of a similar nature were worn by the pipers, on the headdress, plaid, baldrick, and sporran. They could all be cap badges with sliders but, I assume, because of where they are worn they would be badges with lugs.

There are also badge(s) worn on the kilt but I'm not sure what the are. Tradition suggests that they are those of the pre-amalgamation regiments.

As always all help, thoughts and ideas together with any photographs greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Gordon
Those and the collar dogs. I'll never quite get used to seeing our own pipers with the Horse of Hanover on their collars but I'm sure ex-QOH will feel the same way about the inclusion of the Maid of Erin on the cap badge. I'd suppose, from a collector's pov, that makes it more interesting because of the story each badge tells.
Old 02-09-14, 08:09 PM

HI Gordon looking through a back issue of The journal of the R.D.G There is an article on the pipes and drums, the pipers on their kilts have the R.D.G badge also on the purse ??/sporran

David
Old 02-09-14, 10:00 PM

Hi John, David,49lassiepen and Hussar100 (My apologies to the last two for the "formality" that I failed to find any other form of address)

Many thanks for all your replies, all most useful.
This is a difficult aspect to bring to heel and I will take all of your inputs into account--eventually.
Not RDG but QRH pipers on parade at the Edinburgh Tattoo this year. See photographs. I think the piper portrayed is wearing a "first pattern" 3rd Hussars collar badge, i.e the large horse version, as a plaid brooch.
Views welcome

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2276.jpg (33.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.jpg (27.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-09-14, 10:22 PM

Hi Gordon David and 49lassiepen are the same
Old 03-09-14, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hi John, David,49lassiepen and Hussar100 (My apologies to the last two for the "formality" that I failed to find any other form of address)

Many thanks for all your replies, all most useful.
This is a difficult aspect to bring to heel and I will take all of your inputs into account--eventually.
Not RDG but QRH pipers on parade at the Edinburgh Tattoo this year. See photographs. I think the piper portrayed is wearing a "first pattern" 3rd Hussars collar badge, i.e the large horse version, as a plaid brooch.
Views welcome

Best wishes

Gordon
I would agree. That comes from the QOH side of the amalgamation.