British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-05-13, 11:36 AM

No one of that name mentioned on disbandment of 142 RAC (the period covered appears to be 14th Nov - 24th Dec 1944 btw) or even similar name and rank (Tprs Miller and Mullen).

The only ARR mentioned is 1 ARR and quite a few Fwd Delivery Sqns and other units so it must be outside of this particular timeframe.

Paddy
Old 02-05-13, 03:13 PM

Default 142 Regiment RAC Battledress Blouse...

This early, unmodified, blouse belonged to 7/Suffolk and 142 veteran Major Bill Payn. His other blouse (an American made one just like fearnaught's above) is on display in the Suffolk Regiment Museum. From memory the American blouse has red and white silk ribbon on the shoulder straps instead of the crude home made style on this blouse.

I have never seen any evidence of the khaki drill slip-ons being worn on Battledress by men of 142 although there are plenty of photographs of the slip-ons on their KD shirts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 142 Blouse 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 142 Blouse 2.jpg (88.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 142 Blouse 3.jpg (61.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-05-13, 03:24 PM

Another outstanding BD blouse. Militaria 285 illustrated the diabolo w/maple leaf mounted on a rectangle of KD to be worn dangling from the shoulder strap (IDF Style). Presumably this was an officer's style since his rank badges on his shoulder strap didn't leave room for formation signs.
Old 02-05-13, 09:06 PM

I'm sure you are right Mike. I have never seen a photograph of a 142 officer wearing an "IDF style" patch but it certainly makes sense.

This is Bill Payn's American-made blouse in the Suffolk Regiment Museum. From memory he transferred to a staff job before the disbandment of 142 which probably explains why he was still wearing 142 insignia at the end of the war with his medal ribbons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 142 Blouse 4.jpg (69.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-05-13, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plang876 View Post
The simplest answer certainly makes sense.

Another daft question is whether there was a directive on which way the colour strips went (or just guessing that so long as everyone wore the appointed colours the same way that would comply with uniformity!)

Should you be interested, I have a 142 RAC nominal roll of which personnel went to which units when it disbanded in Dec 1944.
Of only 14 named personnel who went directly to 51st RTR (many went to RAC Trg Depot so could have been posted later) there's only 1 SNCO, W/Sgt Fuller.D - don't know whether that may comply with any provenance you may already have.

Regards, Paddy
As the RAC Training Depot was mentioned I've posted this thread: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...660#post211660

Some nice BD and insignia shown on this thread

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com