British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-12, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default "Customized" Canadian Cap badges

Over the years I have encountered many different "customized" cap badges. For example, on the Seaforth's M109a badge, the "£" being removed from between the antlers. Many other customizations have crossed my desk. Another common customization is also on the Seaforth/Pictou badge, where the antlers are bent to form a more 3d effect. And, "doming" of many badges, where the centre is pushed out to again create a more 3d effect. (Often to be polished smooth later.) Another customization is the addition of a coin, sweated or soldered onto the centre of a badge. I have seen RCA and RCASC badges. Other examples?
Old 17-10-12, 04:12 PM

Default Armour

Old 17-10-12, 04:15 PM

Old 17-10-12, 04:16 PM

Old 17-10-12, 04:22 PM

Don't know if this counts, but when I noticed the crossed "paper clips" on my Logistics cap badge were starting to show some wear, I made a habit of buffing them. They now have a very pronounced 'shine' to them, distinct from the rest of the usual dull anodized gold of the rest of the badge.

On my combat cap, I painted the stitching on the cloth cap badge dark brown to emulate the battle bronzing of the metal regimental cap badge.

The 2nd Battalion of The Canadian Scottish Regiment also rounded the corners of the St. Andrew's Cross on their badge, to distinguish themselves from the 1st Battalion, don't know if that was ever an official modification or not, but perhaps that's not what you're looking for, being a unit modification rather than an individual personalization.

Last edited by Michael Dorosh; 17-10-12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 17-10-12, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike, I was thinking more of personal modification of badges. The information on combat cap badge is intersting; I wonder about other customized cloth badges? This brings to mind the two First Hussars shoulder titles, SWW era that have been customized. See images. Both were the printed title, and both had a black or dark navy blue backing added to create a margin. One was further modified by having the lettering over-embroidered.
Old 17-10-12, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks Mike, I was thinking more of personal modification of badges. The information on combat cap badge is intersting; I wonder about other customized cloth badges? This brings to mind the two First Hussars shoulder titles, SWW era that have been customized. See images. Both were the printed title, and both had a black or dark navy blue backing added to create a margin. One was further modified by having the lettering over-embroidered.
Hmmm - cloth 1st Hussars badge had a blue melton outline while the printed titles did not. I would guess the individual was attempting to make the badge look like the cloth badge. Or is it possible that was a unit initiative at some point?

The over-embroidered letters are far harder to explain. Makes one wish they could talk.

If you are ever putting together a book or article, I probably have a photo of me wearing the combat cap, showing the badge, and I suspect the artifact is somewhere in my collection.
Old 17-10-12, 07:37 PM

Only peripherally, In the GGFG officers often wore older collar badges (edit - as their beret cap badge). As these lacked the blue enamel backing we would cut out a part of a Rothman's cigarette package and tuck this between the badge and beret.

Last edited by servicepub; 17-10-12 at 09:22 PM.
Old 17-10-12, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

The First Hussars printed title was the first authorized shoulder title for the unit. It was authorized in early 1944, but did not include the border. It is not clear from the documentation at archives if the unit had submitted the incorrect pattern for the printed title, or if after the fact, the backing was added to the design. There was no record of any approved shoulder title before the printed one was authorized.
The hand embroidered badge was off a coming home tunic. Unfortunately, the tunic was so badly mothed that it was beyond saving. It is an excellent example of a customized title, but not all members of the regiment did this. I think Mike R. has a First Hussars coming home tunic with embroidered melton titles.
Old 18-10-12, 02:53 AM

Hi Bill, a badge that I've always wondered about is the British Columbia Dragoons. This regiment liked to polish flat the maple leaf, obliterating the
Canada tablet. I've seen this and a variety of patterns of the king's crown badge. I have no idea why they did this.

Greg

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=18427
Old 18-10-12, 03:46 AM

Here is a collar badge someone added Manitoba to it. Was thinking of sweating it off but will likely leave a residue so may just leave it alone. Cheers Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man1.jpg (75.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg man2.jpg (74.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 18-10-12, 01:10 PM

Custom cap badge.jpg Custom badge
Old 18-10-12, 05:00 PM

Default Customized Le Regiment de la Chaudiere SWW Title

Hi Bill,

Here is a picture of a Second World War British Made embroidered title that was customized with an Orange Border. The Canada title also was customized but with a Blue border.

This Chaudiere Title type is generally found in pristine condition and is most likely late war or early end of hostilities manufacture... as such I believe the owner would have applied it to their coming home BD as an enhancement.

I took this particular picture back in 2008...so apologies for the poor quality and glass glare.

Mike Kennelly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaudiere Museum- British Made SWW with Orange Border.jpg (51.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 19-10-12, 02:37 AM

How about error badges? This one has the wrong crown. Cheers Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crown.jpg (43.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 19-10-12, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Brian, I think a thread on error badges would be worthwhile.