British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-13, 06:47 PM

Default Rhodesian Research

Hi,

Can anyone point me in any direction to further some research into a Rhodesian???

Tom
Old 06-01-13, 06:33 AM

What era/timeframe are you looking at?
Old 06-01-13, 10:20 AM

Hi Tom,
PM me with his name, regiment, service, or whatever, and I will see what I can come up with.

Cheers,

JohnG
Old 06-01-13, 12:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Would be around 1978,

10441Y Field Reservist John Ussher Stanley: Karoi (Tengwe) Police Force.

Murdered: 06/04/1978

I have some more, but wondered if I can get the exact details of his death etc.

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-01-13, 12:46 PM

Thanks for that Tom, I put it the way I did in case you did not want to advertise his name. I was BSAP 'A' Reserve, then after volunteering for a spell in the army (fool that I was) I went back to the BSAP Field Reserve. I'll see what I can find out about him.
Cheers mate, I'll be in touch.
johnG
Old 06-01-13, 12:51 PM

Thanks, no worries, I know he was murdered and that he is on the farmers roll of honour. I found him by chance googling a set of medals to a guy who ended his life in Rhodesia, and his sons name popped up, I would love to find his medal, but no chance I know his fathers obit was published in the Rhodesia Herald, but guessing mr Mugabe wouldn't take kindly to me popping over to do some research.

Thanks mate,
Tom
Old 06-01-13, 03:28 PM

OK Tom, seems you know all about him already, so I will leave it at that. I thought from your original post you were looking for information.
johnG
Old 06-01-13, 04:03 PM

I know a bit, but I mostly know about his father, I don't know so much, but thanks.

Tom
Old 28-04-13, 05:05 PM

I have the following from the Obituaries section in the BSAP Outpost April 1978.

Wayne

Field Reservist
John Ussher Stanley (10441)
THE MURDER by terrorists of Field Reservist John Ussher Stanley on his
Tengwe farm was reported on April 6. John Ussher Stanley was born in Bath,
England, on April 14 1927, and he emigrated to Rhodesia in 1937. John was educated locally at St George's College in Salisbury where he was a prefect and a 1st XV rugby player. After leaving school, he went to work on a i a rm estate at Inyazura before moving to Banket to manage a farm there. John then moved to the Midlands, where he leased his father's farm near Que Que
for 13 years. While there, he played polocrosse for Rhodesdale Club and gained his Midlands colours in the sport. In 1964, John returned to the north of the country to manage an Umvukwes farm for a year, after which he moved to Tengwe in late 1965. Here, he took over his own farm, breaking it in from virgin bush, and where he remained until the time of his sad death. John joined the Midlands Police Reserve in 1960, and then transferred to the Karoi Police Reserve when he had settled in on his Tengwe property. A keen and energetic reservist, John conducted himself capably while on police duties and he will be missed by the many friends he made as a result of his PR commitment. Befitting his loyal PR service,- John was awarded the Police Reserve Long Service medal posthumously at a medal parade held in Karoi on 22 April. John maintained his interest in sport and he was a very keen golfer at Tengwe, chairing the golf section last year, and was also an ardent snooker player. Field Reservist Stanley's funeral service took place in Salisbury on April 10 and attending the funeral were various members of the Force, including the Commissioner's Representative, Asst Commr K. B. Pugh (Mash Prov HQ), C Insp Farreil (M i/c Karoi) and reservists from the Karoi district. To John's widow, Anne, and .her children Arland (presently doing NS
with the RIC), Katherine, Stephen and Susan, we extend the heartfelt
condolences of policemen throughout the country, and particularly, those from Karoi.