British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-11, 12:14 PM

Default Royal Army Medical Corps (Volunteers)

Hi,

when my Dad passed away he left me a small collection of badges including this one from the RAMC Volunteers. I have no idea where he acquired it (he was a drummer in the Royal Lincolns & Royal Warwicks), so I'd be grateful if anyone could give me any more info about it.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 03-11-11, 09:20 PM

Smile RAMC Vols.

Kevin, your RAMC Volunteer badge has a King's crown so it was worn from 1902 until 1908 when the Territorial Force was created. There were quite a lot of Volunteer RAMC units around the country who presumably wore this badge.

Rob
Old 03-11-11, 09:33 PM
Mr. Jackanory

It looks like a nice pukka example. The lugs look good. He may have picked it up anywhere as these things are small and become mobile. It may even have been given to his Dad etc.
Matti
Old 04-11-11, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Kevin, your RAMC Volunteer badge has a King's crown so it was worn from 1902 until 1908 when the Territorial Force was created. There were quite a lot of Volunteer RAMC units around the country who presumably wore this badge.

Rob
Thank you very much for that, Rob - I hadn't realised that it would be quite that old, so that's very useful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
It looks like a nice pukka example. The lugs look good. He may have picked it up anywhere as these things are small and become mobile. It may even have been given to his Dad etc.
Matti
Hi Matti, unfortunately one of the lugs has been broken off, but apart from that it does seem to be in lovely condition. I don't think there are any service connections before my Dad (his father was a steel worker, I believe), so I expect that someone who knew he'd been in the army gave it to him at some point. He seemed to have a knack of acquiring things like that - he came back from Austria with a selection of Third Reich bits & bobs from a family he'd got to know out there & I still remember when he came home one day in the early '80s with a full RAF uniform that someone had given him, thinking he might be interested in it...

Anyway, thanks again,

Kevin
Old 04-11-11, 07:31 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Kevin,
Get the badge to the Master Badge Artisan, DaveC2 and he will have it spick and span in no time.
Matti