British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-14, 10:12 PM

Default SUPERB BRITISH WAR FILM ? HAS ANY ONE EVER SEEN THIS ????

Whilst doing the early sunday morning rounds of the car boot sales I spotted this D.V.D for sale for a quid , like most on here I consider my self an arm chair expert on british war films having spent most weekends as a kid sat on the settee viewing the ` midday matinee`` whilst my dad was away in the Army or Prison or the Army prison......

This film `They Were Not Devided ` I have never seen OR even heard of ???
Made in 1950 with what looks like much original kit it follows the service of three men who join the Welsh Guards Armoured brigade , the film is told in a very documentry style very similiar to ` Theirs is the Glory and most of the extras appear to be serving soldiers?

The first part covers the basic training at the Guards depot and if it is the actual camp its worth watching just for drill and the RSM ! .

The bulk of the film covers the push through Normandy and the rush for Arnhem the Sherman tanks are just superb , Look out for a VERY young Desmond Lleweyn ( Q in the james bond films ) .

All in all this is a stonking film a tad very much of its time English gents , stiff upper lip etc and the film does lull midway when they go home on leave to there wives but just a bloody good story and the Shermans are a treat .

The full film is avalable on you tube if any one can add the link Please do .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVD.jpg (54.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 24-11-14, 11:31 PM

They were not divided, utube.
link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-zMOxcdUs

Last edited by ebro; 24-11-14 at 11:54 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 25-11-14, 09:56 AM

The regiment portrayed was 2 WG, the Armd Recce Regt of the Guards Armoured Division.

The film's title is taken from the Second Book of Samuel, Chapter I Verse 23:

Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
Old 25-11-14, 11:38 AM

A gem of a film for the likes of us -- don't know how many of the GP would take to it, though, especially these days.
Old 25-11-14, 12:23 PM

Thanks for reminding me of this excellent film which I saw many years ago, and following your post I have found it is available as a DVD from Amazon and am buying a copy.

Thanks again,

John
Old 25-11-14, 12:37 PM

Fab film. My father says he came out of the cinema and straight to the recruiting office and signed up with the Irish Guards...... served 24 years as a result. Also says RSM Brittain was a semi celebrity at the time because of his voice, there are a couple of books about him too.
Old 25-11-14, 12:51 PM

I've seen the film. Not many old B&W war films I haven't watched and I enjoy watching them over again - and some of the colour ones like The Battle of the River Plate.

Yes it's a good old film. You're right too Sapper; Ronald Britten was a celebrity because of his voice and I think that helped him get some of the top warrant officer posts in the army. He was Ack I at Sandhurst which is the most sought after post for any infantry warrant officer.
Old 25-11-14, 03:15 PM

just watched it excellent thank you for the heads up tank sceens are excelent

Stephen
Old 25-11-14, 05:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Were_Not_Divided

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 25-11-14, 06:41 PM

Default jimbobqmi

Magnificent film and if I remember correctly it ends with, "He died as he lived - drinking champagne he couldn't pay for" or maybe not.
Old 25-11-14, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobqmi View Post
Magnificent film and if I remember correctly it ends with, "He died as he lived - drinking champagne he couldn't pay for" or maybe not.
A bit less dignified if I recall correctly - the 2WG Scout Car driver shouting "You're too bloody late!" in a pronounced Welsh accent. Followed on screen by the biblical quotation. Mike
Old 26-11-14, 09:07 PM

Heard of it; seen it (several times) used and referred to it in academic writings. Glad you found it. It's not aired often enough.
Old 27-11-14, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
A bit less dignified if I recall correctly - the 2WG Scout Car driver shouting "You're too bloody late!" in a pronounced Welsh accent. Followed on screen by the biblical quotation. Mike
After the "You're too bloody late!" the Scout car driver places the Union flag and US flag from the wings of the Scout Car on the graves of the two officers killed by shell fire.

I don't have that good a memory. I just watched the film.
Old 28-11-14, 03:19 PM

Great film indeed although I'm not sure that the Guards Armoured Division ever used Shermans. Happy to be corrected.

Hate to disagree with Mike but the armoured car driver is Cpl 'Smoke' O'Connor. The joke - commented on earlier in the film - is that he is an Irishman serving in the Welsh Guards.

Nice to see a film where the actors really look like soldiers and are wearing properly-fitted uniforms.

Jon
Old 28-11-14, 04:07 PM

Default Michael Trubshawe

I was pleased to see that "Bushey" - the titled WG Squadron Leader who was killed in Holland (?) when his Jeep hit an Armoured Car was reincarnated in the Guns of Navarone playing an SBS officer who offered to pop across to Rhodes and come back with an E-Boat for Gregory Peck etc to use to get to Navarone.
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/Ac...17336-7848.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif Michael Trubshawe Guns of Navarone.gif (64.7 KB, 33 views)