British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-08, 06:02 PM

Default North Irish Horse

Now does this badge have to have void strings or is the one shown genuine ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image12[1].jpg (79.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Image11[1].jpg (92.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-05-08, 06:54 PM

Default NIH badge

Spencer,
Here's two pics of NIH badges of mine. The white metal one was my grandfathers, so I know it is 100%, the other belonged to a WW1 veteran, and it got passed to me. It had been enamelled and gilted (badly) and made into a broach, however, it has now been tidied up. Both have strings which are un-voided, but I have seen examples which are. I have somewhere an anodised one, which has voided strings, but can't place it at the minute. I know that the PRI shop at their base sold white metal QC badges, but I gave away the one I had years ago, and can't remember what the strings looked like. No doubt I won't be the only contributor here.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 057.jpg (79.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 058.jpg (96.1 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 08-05-08 at 07:00 PM. Reason: moved thread
Old 08-05-08, 07:16 PM

Here you go an anodised North Irish Horse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NI.Horse.jpg (7.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-05-08, 02:17 PM

John,

What colour beret does NIH wear?

Clay
Old 09-05-08, 09:16 PM

Default NIH Beret

They wear the normal navy blue beret. No badge backings or any anything. There are two NIH units. One is 69 (NIH) Signal Squadron TA part of 40th Signal Regiment. They wear the cap badge of the Royal Signals with NIH uniform. The other is B Squadron of the Queen's Own Yeomanry. Up till a couple of years ago, they wore the cap badge of the NIH, but they have now been forced to adopt the QOY badge, ending a long tradition which they were allowed to continue during their time as part of the Royal Yeomanry. for a small regiment, the NIH had a good history.
Old 30-06-08, 01:08 AM

Spencer

This is not a regiment that I know a whole lot about and I look forward to learning here. I THINK that non-voided QC badges were struck (I recall a reference somewhere but cannot find it at the moment). A word of caution a non-voided QC with Marples and Beasley slider is known and is almost certainly fake. It is true to say that the majority are voided. A message to the association web-site would probably clear it up. They have responded to me in the past

http://northirishhorse.net/index.html

I do believe that the smaller GM (non-voided) badge is WW2, do't confuse it with the common fake shown on the left below, the give away is they lack of a gap between the back of the maid's head and the harp (compare to the image shown by F.A.B.) Wilkinson in his Cavalry & Yeomanry badges gives the dates 1908 - 1952 for the GM version (Known with loops & slider) and 1952 - 1953 for the WM KC version. John - do you have a date for youe grandfathers WM KC badge?

Some material to share

Shown second from left are the QC O/R bage with O/R A/A collars on top and officer's collars (silver plated below), 3rd from left is the NCO's arm badge (this one with service damage)
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nih front.jpg (76.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6728.jpg (71.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg NIH arm front.jpg (66.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 30-06-08 at 01:15 AM. Reason: added references to loops and slider for GM badge
Old 30-06-08, 02:23 AM

I have three NIH badges. On all three the head does not touch the harp or the crown. Two have no voided strings or scroll ends. One is marked Marples & Beasley, one is marked J.R. Gaunt and one has no markings. The one with no markings has voided strings and scroll ends. If you where to look at all three badges, not knowing about voiding, the one that looks the oldest and most "Original" is the Marples & Beasley badge. Go figure

P.S. All three are QC. The voided, unmarked badge is the "tinniest" to the touch.

Michael

Last edited by ard-ri; 30-06-08 at 02:44 AM.
Old 30-06-08, 05:52 AM

This the GM KC example in my collection. There is the gap between head and crown and the strings are non-voided, but the way the slider is attached looks odd (this shot in next message). Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nih 001.jpg (99.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg nih 002.jpg (99.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 30-06-08, 05:54 AM

Sorry, had to submit the last shot of the slider attachment separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nih 003.jpg (18.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 30-06-08, 06:06 AM

Lettman,

Any sign that maybe the slider has been re-attached? I personally have never seen a slider attached this way. I have seen bent sliders but this one seems to have been soldered on the flat.

Michael
Old 30-06-08, 10:47 AM

I really don't know. I remember having a 3rd Carabiniers badge that looked rather like some kind of museum souvenir that had a similarly curved slider (I no longer have this, so can't provide a photo). I also wonder whether this NIH badge is cast rather than die-struck, when you look at the back.
Old 30-06-08, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

This type of slider is the norm on Loyal North lancs and 19th Hussars badges where extra strengthening was required. I have also seen them on early RIR and Suffolk badges. While a bit different from the norm on a NIH badge it does not make it wrong.

Alan
Old 30-06-08, 05:37 PM

Anyone else seen an original slider fixed this way?. I have never seen one and personally don't think it is a common practice.

Michael
Old 30-06-08, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
Anyone else seen an original slider fixed this way?. I have never seen one and personally don't think it is a common practice.

Michael
Not on that particular badge but as Alan mentions it was pretty common for a double over hair pin style slider to be attached on Loyal North Lancs and latterly Loyal Regiment badges as well as WM Royal Irish/Ulster Rifles (one maker, at least) and 19th Hussars.

Regards,

Luke

can provide some picture if you'd like to some?
Old 30-06-08, 05:51 PM

I have a long scrolled R.I.R. (that I assume to be an early example , somewhere between 1913 - 1930's) with this type of slider, the badge itself is Kosher, I assume the slider to be an original rather than a replacement , but I do not really worry about it

John

Tags
irish, north irish horse, ulster.