British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-20, 07:35 AM

Default Suffolk Regiment.

Hello Chaps,
My local postperson brought me several small packages yesterday, these had arrived here in the most easterly part of GB, from South Wales and South Yorkshire, and there was even a small contribution from the Western Isles. I will attach a few images of the contents later on this morning, and, hopefully, these items will all get your seal of approval, and should form an excellent basis for an impressive collection, in due course. Plan A for my purely Suffolk display will be matching pairs of cap badges, collar dogs, shoulder titles and buttons, around some sort of centrepiece, yet to be decided upon, helmet plate, perhaps ? Whatever, absolutely, no suspect items will be be allowed, and I'm depending on all of you to help me ensure, a final, museum quality, end result.
Old 20-11-20, 09:57 AM

Okay then, chaps, if any of these are not the real McCoy, I just don't know what I'll do with myself ! Hopefully, I haven't mixed them up too much, I kept losing track of where I was.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20-11-20, 10:01 AM

A few more !

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20-11-20, 10:02 AM

I'm the South wales person who sold some items not spares but my own line collection which I am framing and giving it to my grandchildren -see album
4th T A ex Walter Lamberts collection sold via wallis and Wallis 09 A better near mint example than my original which I still have
All brass Hugh king list '79
WW11 plastic maker marked-old spencer had a stall in Cardiff market
Victorian crown - crown Imperial auction conducted by Picton auctions for the members '82
Not sure where the o'r came from could have been Harveys list or Lew as only dealt with a few people -mentor L A
Single collar obtain in a collection sold via Dukes Auction '19 it was a sleeper collection a number of members purchased items from this very old collection
Old 20-11-20, 10:16 AM

Hi David, I didn't know whether to mention the name of my supplier in South Wales, although many would be able to guess, I suppose. I got a matching 13 stone collar dog from the Isle of Lewis, and a matching QVC from Cultman Collectables, plus several other bits, as you can see. I don't think that it's a bad start to a collection, wouldn't you agree ?
Old 20-11-20, 10:30 AM

The 5th badge in the first group is the one I've mentioned elsewhere, Cultman describe it as an Edward VII badge, it has lugs rather than a slider, I've not seen this anywhere else.
Old 20-11-20, 10:48 AM

I keep looking at badges of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars, as these might be suitable additions if I ever run out of Suffolk Regimental contenders. However, Cultman Collectables have an officers gilt LSH badge, marked Firmin London, for which they are asking £150, I can easily see me getting out of my depth, here !
Old 20-11-20, 10:53 AM

The Suffolk cap badge was authorised on 11th Feb 1897 as Pattern 4565/1897 with two towers
It would have had loops until 1906 when they all got "vertical shanks" (though FSH badges had them in 1903).
The next Pattern was 4565A/1901 in Oct 1901 - to replace the Victorian crown by the Tudor / Kings Crown. Also to have three towers.

Last edited by KLR; 20-11-20 at 11:02 AM.
Old 20-11-20, 11:17 AM

Heres a scare Suffolk wbc, with three towers from 1901, likely only worn very briefly, I've never seen another example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 176_1-300x177.jpg (15.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 20-11-20, 12:07 PM

Chris high jacked your post a little posted photo of Suffolk badge in my album and galley
Badge is genuine but has been chromed and pin fitting added Not sure if
A - sweet heart broach
B chrome as worn by Suffolk in 142 R A C
Sensible ideas welcome
Purchased this as an officers silver plate badge which it is not
Old 20-11-20, 12:16 PM

Rod Flood has several rare Suffolks badges on his site if you are flush!

http://www.mindenmilitaria.com/shop.php

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 20-11-20, 12:23 PM

Hi KLR, So these Suffolk cap badges with the loops and 3 tower castle are correctly described as Edward VII examples, and would have been produced between 1901 and 1906, if I'm understanding you correctly. I ask because the supplier has another one of these, I think, but I wouldn't want to get another one of them, if there was a chance that they were not bona fide.
Old 20-11-20, 12:25 PM

Chris not sure how far back you are going ,but a very nice 12th East Suffolk for sale at present [seller 100 % o.k I have known Ian for many years] 12th of foot become Suffolk regiment post 1881 Cardwell reforms
At present only £2.19
Would stay away from Glengarry badges as a mine field I was lucky enough to have mine photoed and weighted by Jeff Mac W for his records /
Old 20-11-20, 12:30 PM

Re Rod I think you would have to be very flush and not to expect to recoup you outlay in a life time I knew Rod before he started dealing and used to take him to Wallis and Wallis . A very nice gent
Old 20-11-20, 01:16 PM

Many thanks, Simon, I've never seen so many badges, David is probably right about the prices, though, I expect that's why the stock level is so high, just like JC Militaria.