British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-18, 09:43 PM

I suspect its too late, I'm doomed.

Rob
Old 27-10-20, 09:28 AM

An interesting new purchase has me wondering again, a showed a Smith & Wright Devon Militia button in post 5 of this thread which had the initials "E & WS" on the reverse, I now have a Similar back mark on 22mm Samuel Brother Rifles button. E & WS presumably held the patent for this type of split rear drop shank button but what does E & WS stand for and is there a connection with the reversed "WS" on some of the other Smith and Wright designs?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAMUEL.jpg (47.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg user3664_pic145107_1507103535.jpg (42.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-01-22, 04:21 PM

Just found this thread, hoping someone here could help me out dating these buttons.
Last summer I found a Dominion of Canada Indians button manufactured by 'Smith & Wright', I've been told that this design of button was used on 'Scarlet Coats' given to Aboriginal Chiefs starting in 1875.
The only problem I'm running into is dating the button I found, I found 0 information on the 'Smith & Wright' design, but I found an identical Button with the backmark of Tait and Co. online.
Would anyone have an idea on which would be the original button, with experts I have spoken to it is very possible that this button is from the coat belonging to the first Chief of the Fort Alexander (Sagkeeng) reserve.

Photos 1 and 2 are the button I found last summer, the backmark is difficult to make out but reads 'Smith & Wright, Birmingham'.
FB_IMG_1641158748287.jpg

FB_IMG_1641226888902.jpg

The identical Button which I found online has the backmark of Tait and Co. London.
43030423_1m.jpg

43030423_2m~2.jpg
Old 06-01-22, 06:42 PM

Sorry I don't know, there are various web sites and a few books on American Civil War buttons, as these pre date your button that would probably be your best place to start.

I think Smith, Kemp and Wright came first, then Smith & Wright and that Tait either in London or Limerick had buttons made for them by Smith & Wright.

Rob