British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-24, 01:25 AM

Default 1st Northamptonshire Regt. Indian Platoon

1935 photo of the "Indian Platoon"! This is a mystery to me. Standard Northants cap badges and collars. What on earth? Note the officers of the Northants at this time are not wearing collars on KD.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/northa...eum/8456027930

CB
Old 26-04-24, 03:14 AM

The only info. I'd seen on "Indian Platoons is this GWF thread:

.........."Indian Platoon’, one of which was attached to each British infantry regiment serving in India up until November 1932. Each such platoon comprised one Indian officer and 42 other ranks, their primary duty being to lead and care for the mule packs upon which guns and ammunition of the Machine-Gun Company were carried'."

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...ment-in-india/
Old 26-04-24, 06:15 AM

From Wiki :

Indian Platoon, British Army Infantry Regiment
Quote:
From early 1922 , shortly after the introduction of the Vickers Machine Guns into Infantry Battalions, an Indian Platoon, or Support Company was attached to each British infantry regiment serving in India up until November 1932. Each such platoon comprised one Indian officer and 42 other ranks, their primary duty being to lead and care for the mule packs upon which guns and ammunition of the Machine-Gun Company were carried. However, these soldiers appear to have been regarded as part of the Indian Army. Note however there was a Lancashire Fusiliers album which included 1934 in the title, which contained a photograph of the Indian Platoon, and a photograph of the Indian Machine Gun Platoon, 1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry Karachi 1938, so at least some regiments contained these Platoons to a date after 1932.
Note : Wiki page has link to GWF thread.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-04-24, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Note the officers of the Northants at this time are not wearing collars on KD.
Another photo shows "The Officers and NCOs, 1st Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment. India 1935":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northa...n/photostream/

Old 26-04-24, 11:30 AM

I have vague recollections of reading of the "Indian Platoons" in the past, and may have a photo of the 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment's in a little photo book from the 1930's, but can't find it.
Old 26-04-24, 11:49 AM

Very interesting and I am surprised that I was not aware of this, being an Indian Army afficionado.
I don't understand how they could be Indian Army if they were on the strength of a British battalion (although it is my understanding that British Army units in India were paid for by India), and seems likely that they still were up to WW2 in some.
There are some long service soldiers in the photos. Perhaps they were seconded from the Indian Army?

CB
Old 26-04-24, 12:38 PM

A quick 'google' brings up photos of :

2nd Battalion, King’s Own Royal Regiment, Indian Platoon Rawalpindi, Dec 1929
http://www.kingsownmuseum.com/gallery20s30s2koindia.htm

The Indian Platoon of the First Battalion, the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/the-in...6170326353996/

and a mention of :

Quote:
A Mazhabi Sikh platoon did replace Rajputs as the Indian Platoon of the Welch Regiment in 1933.

Old 09-05-24, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Very interesting and I am surprised that I was not aware of this, being an Indian Army afficionado.
I don't understand how they could be Indian Army if they were on the strength of a British battalion (although it is my understanding that British Army units in India were paid for by India), and seems likely that they still were up to WW2 in some.
There are some long service soldiers in the photos. Perhaps they were seconded from the Indian Army?

CB
If you are an “Indian Army aficionado” then frankly I’m flabbergasted that you seem not to have bookmarked the FIBISWIKI website, https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Arm...were%20carried. where amongst reams of other information you would have found:

“Indian Platoon, British Army Infantry Regiment
From early 1922 , shortly after the introduction of the Vickers Machine Guns into Infantry Battalions[14], an Indian Platoon, or Support Company was attached to each British infantry regiment serving in India up until November 1932. Each such platoon comprised one Indian officer and 42 other ranks, their primary duty being to lead and care for the mule packs upon which guns and ammunition of the Machine-Gun Company were carried. However, these soldiers appear to have been regarded as part of the Indian Army. [15] Note however there was a Lancashire Fusiliers album which included 1934 in the title, which contained a photograph of the Indian Platoon, and a photograph of the Indian Machine Gun Platoon, 1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry Karachi 1938,[14] so at least some regiments contained these Platoons to a date after 1932.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4126.jpg (83.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4127.jpg (75.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4125.jpg (47.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 09-05-24 at 11:41 AM.