British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-24, 11:43 PM

Default Wanted HMS Coventry Elephant and Castle

I'm putting together a small frame of badges comprising of sweethearts, an FSC and titles to display at home that feature the Regiments that my Grandfather and three of his brothers who served in during WW1 and WW2.

These being the RB, KRRC, MGC and Som LI.

They all hailed from the Elephant and Castle area of South London and I thought it would be nice if I could find a badge of some kind to represent this in the frame.

The only thing that I found that would have been perfect is the tie pin shown in the image below but unfortunately I was to late to attempt to land it. It sold along with another badge for £30.00.

It turns out that it is a badge that is related to the Royal Navy War Ship HMS Coventry, which was a nice fact to learn.

Could I ask that if anyone has such or similar kicking about unloved in their spares box or if anyone sees one or something that might be suitable would they please bear me in mind?

Thank you in advance for anything that might come.

Kind regards to all.

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4910.jpg (25.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 16-06-24, 07:58 PM

Default Got it

I managed to find something to make up a version of the device that I was looking for.

Two Items that include a Duke of Wellington's Regiment Collar Badge and a small silver castle charm that will fit the bill nicely when combined.

They will join the frame once they arrive and I'm pleased that the solution includes another a genuine military badge to add to those already present - Result!

regards to all

Ry

Last edited by Charlie 585; 16-06-24 at 08:06 PM.
Old 16-06-24, 07:59 PM

Look forward to seeing the end result, Ry.

JT
Old 16-06-24, 09:02 PM

Thanks JT,

I'll look forward to showing it once it is done.

Ry
Old 17-06-24, 03:53 PM

Hi Ry - the 10th Gurkhas had an arm badge that would be perfect for the frame. It's just the elephant and castle ( albeit nothing to do London ! ) - the badge represents the battle honours for Amboor and Assaye won by the 10th Madras infantry - it was worn by all ranks available in four versions ( 2 x Cloth) a/a and in cast silver. Only the cast silver one is hard to find and expensive - but you should be able to get any of the others on eBay for not a lot of money.
Tim
Old 17-06-24, 07:48 PM

Thank you Tim,

For both the history lesson and the steer towards the badge, I knew someone here would have a suggestion at some point!

I've taken a look and found the aa version which is nice to see but for the period my frame represents I would have to have had the cast silver version.

The two items I found to combine for my purposes are now on their way and I hope to have it completed later this week all being well.

Kind regards

Ry
Old 19-06-24, 06:54 PM

Default Not on your Nellie!

So I'm no silversmith but with two donor items, limited tools and equipment and a skill set that has involved metal working but on a lot larger scale, I am now in possession of an 'emblem' that suits my requirements for my frame.

Below are pictured what I started with and the finished result - Tin hat time or tumbleweed like some of my other recent posts!

Enjoy!

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nellie 1.jpg (48.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Nellie 2.jpg (53.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Nellie 3.jpg (59.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 20-06-24, 04:06 PM

Interesting project - it looks nice.
I bet it will cause a conversation or two in the future.
Is there any relevance to direction elephant travels? - or could it be either way?
I am a novice at such things so am genuinely interested
Thanks
Mike