British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-14, 08:35 AM

Default 2nd Hants Rifle Volunteers

Good Morning,

Quick intro my name is Richard and I live in Bournemouth, I was clearing the rear of our garden earlier this week and came across a badge that was buried, it is quite big ,looks like it could be a headdress badge or similar, would anyone be kind enough to clarify what to is, I think it dates from the 1800's?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2ndhantsreb.jpg (98.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-05-14, 09:40 AM

Richard,

Welcome, it a very interesting item, a Victorian helmet plate for the home service pattern helmet ( see picture of the type of helmet it would have been worn on )

The Rifles Volunteers started to form in 1859 and the Home Service pattern helmet was introduced in May 1878, so the badge would have been worn sometime during the period 1878 - 1881 which is when the Rifle Volunteers ( or at least the majority of them ) started to become Volunteer Battalions of the Line Infantry Regiments.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2684.jpg (72.7 KB, 16 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 09-05-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 10:10 AM

Richard welcome,
Not my area of collecting but what find at the bottom of the garden! I wish mine would turn up a couple of Pals badges I'm after must go feel a spot of weeding coming on

Gerard
Old 09-05-14, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

The 2nd Hants RV were a precursor to the modern Territirial army (ok Army reserves for the purists out there). As Bournemouth was in Hampshire until 40 years ago, the town recruiting for the Hants RV rather than the Dorset RV.

http://1rhamps.com/militia_ta/Volunteer.html

This site shows the history. It was the 4th Bn who were Bournemouth based.
Old 09-05-14, 11:37 AM

I cant find a picture of a complete helmet of the unit but here is a picture of a sergeants tunic.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2686.jpg (37.2 KB, 13 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”