British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-19, 12:29 AM

The round Auckland RSA badge was only issued in 1916 and possibly early 1917, after which it was replaced by the standard NZ RSA badge.
Members could trade their round badge for the standard RSA badge, or could keep it and purchase the regulation badge.
I have a round gold version on file, will post pictures when I get time.
Old 06-07-19, 01:02 AM

Hi

Sorting through some "odds and sods" and found a Tiptaft marked "NZR" title. Anyone wanting to "complete" the set can PM me!

Cheers
Old 06-07-19, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
The round Auckland RSA badge was only issued in 1916 and possibly early 1917, after which it was replaced by the standard NZ RSA badge.
Members could trade their round badge for the standard RSA badge, or could keep it and purchase the regulation badge.
I have a round gold version on file, will post pictures when I get time.
I recently saw a "grouping" of: ARSA round badge;Main Body Assoc badge (numbered); Returned Soldier's Assoc badge and........ Silver War Badge! Only the medals were "absent"....

Full house!
Old 10-07-19, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
As far as I know, Mayer & Kean made the NZRSA badges from 1916 to 1918 and C M Bay made them from 1918.

I have never compared early RSA badges, but would suspect that the original badge die was made by M&K and then used by Bay to make more. It would be interesting to compare badges to see if that is correct.

It is worth mentioning that when the first RSA badges were produced in late 1916, they were completely unofficial and intended only to be worn on civilian dress, however, a returned soldier employed on home duties and still in uniform, were allowed to wear a vertical scarlet braid strip on the left cuff which indicated that the wearer was a returned soldier. (if wounded while on service it was worn next to a gold vertical strip for each time wounded)
Hi Brent

I meant to reply to this post earlier but forgot. I found an advertisement dating from(I think) late 1917 asking for expressions of interest from manufacturers for the "immediate supply of 3,000 badges".

It stipulates that the contractor is to supply their own die. I'll locate the reference and post it later. There is also some bits about different catches if they are unable to match the current style.
Old 10-07-19, 03:53 AM

Default RSA badge tender

Hi Brent

Here it is. This is from "The Lyttelton Times" of 27 December, 1917. There are a couple of other printings of this notice.

It would appear that, by this stage, the RSA was considering a move away from Mayer & Kean. Somewhere I have noted the contract cost of the badge to the Association and I have the clear idea that Bay was cheaper!

I also found mention of a case taken against a returned soldier who joined the RSA, paid his 2/6d for the badge and then pawned it for 5/-!

Convicted and discharged....
Attached Images
File Type: png rsatender.PNG (68.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 15-07-19, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi Brent

I meant to reply to this post earlier but forgot. I found an advertisement dating from(I think) late 1917 asking for expressions of interest from manufacturers for the "immediate supply of 3,000 badges".

It stipulates that the contractor is to supply their own die. I'll locate the reference and post it later. There is also some bits about different catches if they are unable to match the current style.
Very interesting, seems to fit with Bays period of production.